Video card will not line up with the slot o.O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwoody

Solid State Member
I bought a new cookie cutter Pc, with plans to upgrade, and first on my list was the onboard graphics..as they suck.
Anyways, I open it up, and attempt to slot the card in, as I have in numerous Pc's before, and to my surprise, the card will not fit. It's not a case of jiggling it, it's way too far off to do that. (It's a case of the card being longer than the slot. When flush with the openings on the back, the card is back about 4mm from the slots)

I've never heard of this problem before- and was thinking maybe the computer maker (Gateway) screwed the motherboard in wrong? But what is weird, and nullifies that idea, is that the rest of the slots & stuff line up.
I have tried multiple cards and all have the same problem.

Anyone have any ideas? :s

Here are some pics...

This is the slot in question.

This shows how far the card is from lining up

This shows the card flush with the back f the pc - so it cannot go frward any further.

And this shows the other parts & ports line up

Thanks in advance to anyone who can.
If more information is required, please say so

We need the card specs (make/model) and the pc specs (the more the better, if it's a gateway prebuilt then the model number would be optimal). It could be a case that the card interface and motherboard interface are different, in which case you might be SoL, or if you're in luck the motherboard is just too far over and you can't get the card properly into the slot, in which case you'll just have to unscrew the motherboard and move it away from the expansion card slots, or so some jank modding to the expansion card slots themselves.

ATI All in wonder X800 PCI, AGP
^ Taken off the wiki. That is the current card I am trying to add.
I am sure it is the right slot, it just won't fit :s as shown in the pic, it's about 3-4mm off.

ATI's All-in-Wonder X800 XT graphics card - The Tech Report - Page 1 This exact card.

I won't be upgrading higher until I have bought a power supply to support a 1GB+ card. But at this rate, I wonèt be upgrading at all!

EDIT to add: GATEWAY DX4840-11E core i3-550 is the exct model - prebuilt. I was thinking about unscrewing and moving, but then the other components won't line up :s

Sorry post came out wrong, so edited it.
GATEWAY DX4840-11E core i3-550 is the exct model - prebuilt
ATI All in wonder X800 PCI, AGP is the card

Wow...is this a thing in newer computers? I'm used to dealing with older comps - 5-10 years old.
The slots look exactly the same as those in the older compaq I took the card from, just closer to the case, which is where I am getting the problem.

I also have PCIE/AGP GRAPHIC CARDS: ASUS V9520/TD/256MB AGP GRAPHIC CARD which also will not fit in.

Looks like I may have to buy a new card... Any cards you can suggest? with similar quality whilst being affordable? Ugh this is a minor setback... Thanks for your replies though!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom