Learning how to make games

^not really a long hard road at all lol, a computer programming career only really needs a BSC in CS. Thats reoughly 3-3.5 years. Im going to uni it as well :)

I'm interested to create a game, something like the Xbox 360 with good graphics.
But make a game take a lot of time.

imo try doing a mod for oblivion or crysis. the dev tools and flexibility of the engine they offer to us users would be a perfect starting point for you imo. and both games can be picked up preaty cheap now. oblivion's engine allows you to add things from retextures of equipment all the way to adding your own content created in wire framing softwares and such. as far as i know oblivion and fall otu 3 are the most flexible tittles as far as mod's go. some people for the 3 tittles i mentioned (crysis, fall out 3, oblivion) have made stand alone mods/ total conversions and released there own games entirely. imo this will be your best route as you completely avoid going about making a completely fresh engine, and allows you to work on your content alot more.

my buddy who took game dev in college said they actually used those 3 tittles to do mods and such for some projects and assignments they had.

to make a game, you first would have to make an engine capable of doing what you want, so like poizen said, your best bet it to use engines that already exist and are setup to work with a specific game, nwn2,farcry,oblivion,crysis etc are good examples of this.

I believe this is an imposible feat for just one person.
You can check very old and simple games, if you want Beatem up check One must fall. Not the robot one but the beta version of one must fall. It is almost 20 years old, and very simple. it still got people a lot of time to make it work.

You need programing, graphics design, 3d design, other artwork, sfx, music, dialogues, motion capture, writing and more!

Only big teams or corporations can make games nowdays.

Machinarium was done by one guy so that is not necessarily true. If you are going to do it by yourself it will take a ton of time that is for sure. But a team of 5-6 people can produce a decent game in a few months to a year. Takes a lot of time a dedication though.

^not only that but you all would need to deeply understand that language in which you were coding the game in. As well, you would need a good writer, and artist. 5-6 people, 3 coders, 2 writers , and maybe 2 artists, is what i would consider the bare minimum to make any kind of decent game these days. But then again, the vast majority of all coding in minecraft was done by notch, so that just goes to show if you have the knowledge and the dedication you can do pretty awesome stuff.

Back
Top Bottom