Too Much RAM Usage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curbkiddytech

In Runtime
I just upgraded my motherboard, RAM, and CPU for Christmas.
My new motherboard is a Rampage Formula 3 model for an LGA 1366 CPU.
My CPU is a LGA 1366 Intel Core i7 950 at 3.06 GHz.
My RAM is new triple channel G.Skill 1x3 GBs installed in their respective triple channel slots.

Now first my problem was overheating the CPU, it would only stay on for a half minute or so and then say CPU High Temperature or something and shut off. I installed another fan and that allowed the system to stay on (although it's still running hot..84 degrees C) but thats not my question. When I go in to the Task Manager I see the Physical Usage at around 50% when all is running is Internet Explorer, Steam (no games) and MSN. Not enough applications to use Physical Memory at such a high percent, or atleast i thought so... am I right? Is there something wrong with the Physical Memory or is this a side affect of the CPU running so hot?

Any help is appreciated

Well I would definitely not worry about ram usage when you are running at dangerous temps. 84 is atrocious. What cooler are you using and are you using thermal paste?

No I didn't apply any thermal paste, none came with either the CPU or the Motherboard. All I'm using to keep it cool is the CPU fan that came with the package and a very small extra fan that came with the motherboard which sits on the northbridge heat sink. Other than that, the only other three fans are the GPU fan, PSU fan, and the big fan for the case.

What should I do?

Sorry no picture but I'm telling you the fan/heatsink that came with my i7 didn't come with any thermal paste. I wasn't suprised at this either because every other processor I've had or installed for someone else already had an amount of thermal paste applied to it so when I didn't have any this time I didn't think twice about it. But I shall order the paste in the link above and see if that works. I'm just bummed I'm going to be without a computer for a few days :(

Hang on a second, I just removed my fan and heatsink and there is apparent thermal paste on both of them. Therefore there was already paste applied on the heatsink, so I don't believe that is the reason for the overheating. But I'll order the paste still anyways, what do you think is going on?

Make sure the heatsink is securely fastened at all (4) legs. Make sure the fan is plugged in and that it spins when the power button is pushed.

I did all of that, the heatsink was definately secured, and I watched the fans all spinning so I know that wasn't it. Like I said earlier, it kept shutting off after about 30 to 45 seconds until I installed a smaller fan on the northbridge heatsink, right next to the CPU fan and heatsink. Then the system could remain on, but it's running really hot. Is there a way to increase the CPU fan speed to help keep it cooler? I tried doing that in the BIOS but the speed never changed so do I need to try the software on the motherboard disc?

Also another question, when the thermal paste arrives, do I apply it to the CPU itself, or the bottom end of the heatsink where it covers the CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom