MMORPG Character Selling Policy for Tech-Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am against the idea of selling MMORPG characters. Like it ruins the unbalances the game for other players that put in the hours to get from level 1 to level 60 (or what ever), not to mention epic loot. And then you have some idiot show up with thier ebayed / powerleveled character.

KoopaTroopa1321 said:
Have yall had issues with this in the past before the notice was made?
Lots of gold farming spam, mainly. A few have wante t sell their Steam accounts and such, and a few with high level characters. All of these violate the ToS for the games.

By using a blanket policy, we leave no "wiggle" room for anyone to try to do it anyway. Better safe than sorry.

There are many takes on this, I personaly am for it as long and no one gets hurt by it. I have a friend with A.D.H.D. and he cannot stay focused on a specific task for more then 5 minutes. If he wishes to do something that takes a fairly long time to obtain then why can't he just be the service? Well some see it as "Illigal" but I for one am saying there is wiggle room, doing it for profit is wrong but not allowing it to happen at all is also wrong.

While Person A is playing he is paying a fixed rate. Person B is waiting. Person A finishes, and sells to person B, person B begins to play. While the transition may seem smooth and the people behind the game have been making money there is another way. Both player A and B have been playing and paying the fixed rate. There is just soo much more then I have time to disscuss but the point is keep the trading OFF the internet and it's LEGIT.

BTW Nice to see that Trotter is still around. =]
I haven't been online lately. =[

quick question not sure if this has been asked what about mmo character trades. in wow they have a system set up in wich you can actually trade characters would we be allowed to discuss this here?

If it is allowed by Blizzard, yes. I would appreciate a link to where they have it written, though.

id look it up but there is to much stuff ong google that would probably instal a keylogger from just visiting there site and cause my account to be banned and characters deleted due to hackers.

Looking at the WoW EULA, it doesn't look like it is allowed, mate.

4. Ownership.

A. All title, ownership rights and intellectual property rights in and to the Game and all copies thereof (including without limitation any titles, computer code, themes, objects, characters, character names, stories, dialog, catch phrases, locations, concepts, artwork, character inventories, structural or landscape designs, animations, sounds, musical compositions and recordings, audio-visual effects, storylines, character likenesses, methods of operation, moral rights, and any related documentation) are owned or licensed by Blizzard. The Game is protected by the copyright laws of the United States, international treaties and conventions, and other laws. The Game may contain materials licensed by third parties, and the licensors of those materials may enforce their rights in the event of any violation of this License Agreement.

B. You may permanently transfer all of your rights and obligations under the License Agreement to another only by physically transferring the original media (e.g., the CD-ROM or DVD you purchased), all original packaging, and all Manuals or other documentation distributed with the Game; provided, however, that you permanently delete all copies and installations of the Game in your possession or control, and that the recipient agrees to the terms of this License Agreement. The transferor (i.e., you), and not Blizzard, agrees to be solely responsible for any taxes, fees, charges, duties, withholdings, assessments, and the like, together with any interest, penalties, and additions imposed in connection with such transfer.

It is similar in the Terms Of Use.
4. Ownership.
All rights and title in and to the Service (including without limitation any user accounts, titles, computer code, themes, objects, characters, character names, stories, dialogue, catch phrases, locations, concepts, artwork, animations, sounds, musical compositions, audio-visual effects, methods of operation, moral rights, any related documentation, "applets" incorporated into the Game Client, transcripts of the chat rooms, character profile information, recordings of games played using the Game Client, and the Game Client and server software) are owned by Blizzard or its licensors. The Game and the Service are protected by United States and international laws, and may contain certain licensed materials in which Blizzard's licensors may enforce their rights in the event of any violation of this Agreement.

7. No Ownership Rights in Account.
NOTWITHSTANDING ANYTHING TO THE CONTRARY HEREIN, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOU SHALL HAVE NO OWNERSHIP OR OTHER PROPERTY INTEREST IN THE ACCOUNT, AND YOU FURTHER ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT ALL RIGHTS IN AND TO THE ACCOUNT ARE AND SHALL FOREVER BE OWNED BY AND INURE TO THE BENEFIT OF BLIZZARD.

11. Ownership/Selling of the Account or Virtual Items.
Blizzard does not recognize the transfer of WoW Accounts or Blizzard Accounts (each an "Account"). You may not purchase, sell, gift or trade any Account, or offer to purchase, sell, gift or trade any Account, and any such attempt shall be null and void. Blizzard owns, has licensed, or otherwise has rights to all of the content that appears in the Game. You agree that you have no right or title in or to any such content, including without limitation the virtual goods or currency appearing or originating in the Game, or any other attributes associated with the Account or stored on the Service. Blizzard does not recognize any purported transfers of virtual property executed outside of the Game, or the purported sale, gift or trade in the "real world" of anything that appears or originates in the Game. Accordingly, you may not sell in-game items or currency for "real" money, or exchange those items or currency for value outside of the Game.

Blizzard prohibits the trade of ACCOUNTS yes, but AFAIK, individual items/characterless are allowed to be TRADED, but NOT SOLD for REAL monetary value.

But, any time Blizzard has permitted this, they open a forum for people to go to in order to discuss/advertise, Diablo 2 even has a sub-forum at battle.net where people can post up items for trade, WoW will be the same most likely, having a subforum somewhere to discuss/advertise.

So, the EULA covers the actual Battle.net account, just not the character/items in it, though, it is still against the rules to sell for real world monetary value.

Blizzard actually permits people to use "online money", basically, online credits you receive from trading items and what not, but again, there is no monetary value to it in the real world, and it's prohibited by most communities that use these systems.

Actually, here is the FAQ on Blizzards website involving the trade of characters, so, I think it will not be a permitted thing here, as it involves $25 anytime a character is traded.

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=20558

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom