Building a pc for the first time, need some help to make sure it all works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure thing you can post it. I have a shift change (military in afghanistan) in 40 min so I wouldn't be able to look at it for about 2hrs if you dont mind waiting that long. Also when you post it if you could post the individual links (not the combo links) it would help me out because I have crappy satelite internet out here

If you don't mind an extra $30 or so, the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R motherboard is my favorite X58 board for LGA1366 chips, it has USB3.0 and SATA3 (6gb/s) support, more PCI Express x16 slots, and great overclocking tools. My friend just built a PC (pretty much the same as mine) but his X58A-UD3R was the v2 with an additional USB internal header and an updated BIOS. It costs $209 but I'd say the extra features are worth it. The 930 is a good processor, with the stock heatsink you should be able to overclock it to 3.2GHz or so, we overclocked my friend's build tonight, had it up to 3.4GHz but ended up stable at 3.25 on the stock cooler. On mine I have a Corsair H50 cooler and have it up to 4.1GHz stable.

The 5870 is an excellent graphics card, that RAM looks pretty awesome too. I think that power supply should work, Rosewill may not be the best brand but their products are usually solid, my Rosewill 500W power supply is a few years old now and is a great performer, runs 24/7 in my server and never a single issue.

Alrighht I'll definitely get that mother board. So all the things I chose were compatible and would work together? Alright I edited my post before this with the new mother board and a question. Also after reading a bunch of reviews it seems like a huge majority of the motherboards didn't work. That makes me very nervous haha and another thing, the ram i'm getting is 1600 but the mother board memory standards don't have 1600 on it, does that mean the ram isn't compatible?

I love that card also sorry I got back to you so late. Everything looks to be fine!! Make sure you post pictures when its done

Dont forget this:

(Note 1) For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16_1 slot; if you are installing two PCI Express graphics cards, it is recommended that you install them in the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots.

Hey thanks for that, i'm just confused about the ram. The ram says it's 6 gigs of 2000 ddr3 ram. The mother board says this for memory standard DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 I'm not sure if that means My ram won't work for it.

It will work, DDR3 is DDR3, the rated number is the maximum speed that the RAM is rated for. To hit 2000MHz you must overclock anyways, so by default your RAM will be running slower than 2000MHz, but other than the speed it will work fine. When you overclock you will be able to push the RAM all the way to 2000MHz without issue, my DDR3 1600MHz RAM is running at 1750 right now due to overclock and is running just fine.

AH alright it just confused me when the mother board said ddr3 then that number. My ram I chosen says 2000 on it, does that mean it goes up to 2000? Or it is 2000? And If all of what i have there is 100% compatible i'm going to place the order tonight, so if that's all 100% set and compatible let me know so i can do it I just want to be completely reassured.

It is guaranteed to work at up to 2000MHz, it will work at slower speeds as well, it is not guaranteed to work any faster though. However, that doesn't mean your particular RAM won't work at higher speeds, but above the rated speed you may start having problems. Since the X58A-UD3R doesn't support DDR3 2000 on the box, that means that by default your RAM will run slower than 2000MHz and you will have to increase the speed yourself (not hard at all). It also means that the motherboard doesn't support a RAM multiplier capable of running the RAM at 2000MHz using the standard 133MHz base clock. If you increase the base clock you will be able to run the RAM at 2000MHz no problem and you will also be overclocking your processor for more performance. In the end, the parts will work together but you have to play with it in order to find the best speeds for your particular setup. I recommend you post an overclocking thread in the Overclocking and Case Mods section of the forums after you get the build assembled, people here can help you squeeze the most performance out of your hardware by overclocking it.

For reference, using a good CPU cooler and that same CPU/motherboard, DDR1600 RAM I have 4.1GHz CPU speed, 1750 RAM speed, 217 base clock running stable. Your RAM will do more than that.

Thank you so much for clarifying all of that. So after that I got everything together and went to make the purchase using Bill me later and got declined. I'm confused, how did I get declined? Well this sucks it means i'm waiting a little bit I've been so excited for this computer :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom