Cpu fan as case fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Von Theron

In Runtime
I have a old cpu fan that i dont use and a cheap computer with a bad looking case. So i was thinking on using the fan for som cooling as my case only has the cpu fan. I want to use another cpu fan which is small and put it as a case fan is this possible and if so when do i plug it on the motherboard.?

Yeah it's possible. Man I've used fans from worse. I took the xbox fan from my..well...xbox and then coupled that with the 60mm stock fan that was on my 2400+ XP. The stock fan spun clockwise while the xbox fan spun counterclockwise and is about 80mm. It doesn't have normal screw mounts though so I had to create about a half inch spacer between the two fans and then electrical tape it together. It works GREAT, it's basically creating a duct and since both fans push air the same way but the blades spin in opposite directions it creates pressure. Much like the way a jet engine works. But yeah, you can easily add it to your case, its just adding the appropriate holes if needed would be the hardest part. I'm going to assume it's a 3pin power connection since you said it was an old CPU fan. Just attach this to your NB fan controller if you don't have a NB Fan. Your motherboard should have atleast three 3pin connector power sources on the motherboad, generally it's CPUFAN, NBFAN, SBFAN, or sometimes CHAFAN for the chassis but either way there are a couple different spots to get power to that. Alternatively you could get a 3pin to 4pin convertor from a place like svc.com

yea 3 pin is what i got lol i found one yesterday and its a old intel pent 3 mobo so i only got 2 i think. I was scared to plug it in so here i was asking but now i kno. I wont break anything by the way right.?

Yeah dude you will be aright. I took the Intel Stock heatsink fan from my grandmas 5 year old peoplePC built machine. It had only two wires but they are the same as any other. +12 volt line for power and the ground, usually the 12volt is red and ground is black, yellow wires are usually RPM detectors in a 3pin power connector case. Now, on my motherboard the pins go like this

1power, 2 ground, 3 rpm detection

However, on the Fan I stole from the intel machine the wires were backwards meaning I couldn't slip it on the little 3pin clip to the motherboard like it should. I flipped to the connector from the fan backwards and was able to force it on the 3 pin clip and it gave the fan power.

Basically all you gotta do is look in your manual at the available 3pin clip on your motherboard that you want to attach it to and find out what each pin is. Then when you know that just make sure the +12v red wire from the fan goes onto the pin thats designated +12v

Hope that makes sense, it's kind of hard to describe what I did, but like I said you just gotta get +12v line to it. Hell you could just get a wire, tie it to the +12v pin on your motherboard and splice the wire to the correct wire on the fan. But yeah enough talking and options or I might start confusing myself lol

But yeah, I connected a 2pin connector from a fan to the 3pin power connector on my motherboard. You know how it has little edges to guide it? Well that's where I turned the fan connector backwards, the edges that normally slide along it had to stick out the opposite way so that the +12v line lined up. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom