GPU cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean W.

Fully Optimized
is there such a thing?
if there is such a thing, can i get one for my 5870?
would it make a difference in performance?
where could i get one, i didnt see one on newegg.
does anyone have any experience with one?

-thanks

You can pick-up the Spitfire at Frozencpu.com. Thermalright Spitfire Universal Copper VGA Cooler - Extreme Performer!! - FrozenCPU.com

but you also need something to cool the 5870's Voltage Regulator Circuitry. Thermalright has a few options that work with the 5870.
Thermalright VRM-R3 VGA Voltage Regulator Cooler (ATI HD 5870/5850) - FrozenCPU.com
or this
Thermalright VRM-R4 VGA Voltage Regulator Cooler (ATI HD 5870/5850) - FrozenCPU.com
or this
Thermalright VRM-R5 VGA Voltage Regulator Cooler (ATI HD 5870/5850) - FrozenCPU.com

Plus you'll need fans.

While I adore Thermalrights CPU Coolers, I'm not a Big Fan of there GPU Cooling Solutions. For GPU Cooling I would be looking at something from Arctic Cooling. They have a new Cooler but I haven't seen it in any shops yet.
Accelero Xtreme 5870

If you just can't wait then I would go with one of these.
Arctic Cooling Accelero TWIN TURBO PRO Quad Heatpipe Universal VGA Cooler (NVIDIA & ATI) HD 5870 Compatible!! - FrozenCPU.com

yea im going to get the R5 too and a 140mm blue LED fan for the GPU cooler and a 80mm blue LED fan for the R5 voltage regulator.

only thing is will i actually see any improvement in performance if i do this, is this over kill? also will it be possible to crossfire with 2 of these in a fill size case ( IE antec 1200 )?

oh and after some looking around i found the GPU cooler on Amazon, but i cant find the R5? :/

I'm gonna guess that it wouldn't be possible to Crossfire with two of those in a 1200. Since you have an H50 you could have the top one facing up over the CPU and the bottom one the opposite way but I am guessing that the bottom one would hit the PSU. You could always hit up Google and see if you could find someone who has tried it so you would know for sure.

yea im thinking it would hit the PSU... i poked around Google and cant find anyone who has tried to crossfire with these.

perhaps this is way overkill for what i want to do with my graphics card, which is to run the card at the fastest factory clock speeds, like move the slider bars all the way to the right in the Catalyst control center for my graphics card.

You can pick-up the Spitfire at Frozencpu.com. Thermalright Spitfire Universal Copper VGA Cooler - Extreme Performer!! - FrozenCPU.com

but you also need something to cool the 5870's Voltage Regulator Circuitry. Thermalright has a few options that work with the 5870.
Thermalright VRM-R3 VGA Voltage Regulator Cooler (ATI HD 5870/5850) - FrozenCPU.com
or this
Thermalright VRM-R4 VGA Voltage Regulator Cooler (ATI HD 5870/5850) - FrozenCPU.com
or this
Thermalright VRM-R5 VGA Voltage Regulator Cooler (ATI HD 5870/5850) - FrozenCPU.com

Plus you'll need fans.

While I adore Thermalrights CPU Coolers, I'm not a Big Fan of there GPU Cooling Solutions. For GPU Cooling I would be looking at something from Arctic Cooling. They have a new Cooler but I haven't seen it in any shops yet.
Accelero Xtreme 5870

If you just can't wait then I would go with one of these.
Arctic Cooling Accelero TWIN TURBO PRO Quad Heatpipe Universal VGA Cooler (NVIDIA & ATI) HD 5870 Compatible!! - FrozenCPU.com

so after poking around all day looking at coolers, i think i have decided that i dont want the spitfire, even tho it looks amazing and it would make a great addition to my computer, it simply makes the option of a crossfire setup impossible, as far as i can tell.

so, slaymate, do you know if there would be room to crossfire with those coolers you recommended?

honestly, if you are not overclocking the card, your factory cooling will be enough to cool your card(s). also, if you are not stressing them alot, i.e. futuremark, 3dmark, then there is once again no need for aftermarket. My suggestion to you is to see how your computer performs, download Hardware Monitor from CPUID and if your temperatures get to high for your comfort consistently, then consider an aftermarket cooling. your card already has a cooler installed on it

yea im thinking it would hit the PSU... i poked around Google and cant find anyone who has tried to crossfire with these.

perhaps this is way overkill for what i want to do with my graphics card, which is to run the card at the fastest factory clock speeds, like move the slider bars all the way to the right in the Catalyst control center for my graphics card.

That's if the card will be able to. Every card is different. With just the GPU coolers on there, crossfire wouldn't be an option, most likely. Have you seen pictures of this thing installed? It's huge.

27.jpg

The board is an ATX board, and the case is a full tower, the card is a 4890. (Won't make much of a difference, if any at all, on which card it's installed on.) You can see how it dwarfs pretty much everything else.

When the heatsink is installed downwards, some problems appear:

-on full tower cases, if the power supply is at the bottom of the case, as in my situation, the GPU cooler was with its heatpipe terminations very close to the power supply and in consequence, I could not install other card under the video card at all;

-on midi-tower cases, if the power supply is installed on the bottom of the case, the video card won't fit if the heatsink is installed downwards; if it will be installed upwards, with a low profile CPU cooler, then there won't be any problems at all.

This GPU cooler can be installed upwards also without problems if we have the CPU water cooled.

Since you do have the H50, there's a possibility of you being able to install it upwards. Even if that's possible, the PSU would most likely have to be installed on the top of the case, and not bottom, for crossfire. Seeing that he's using the first PCI-E x16 slot on a full ATX board, and it's covering the entire board, **** near touching the PSU. So you'd have to have a good 3-4 inches below the bottom of the board to get the downward mount on the second card. Then, you run into the VRM cooler, possibly being too large to fit in between the first card, and second card.

Thermalright Spitfire VGA Cooler

so after poking around all day looking at coolers, i think i have decided that i dont want the spitfire, even tho it looks amazing and it would make a great addition to my computer, it simply makes the option of a crossfire setup impossible, as far as i can tell.

so, slaymate, do you know if there would be room to crossfire with those coolers you recommended?

The Accelero 5870 Extreme is definitely crossfire compatible, as it states that on the product page. The other, most likely is since it's smaller than the extreme. I would choose the Extreme over that one though. The VRM coolers, however, may not be, but I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom