x16/x4 vs x8/x8 (or "which mobo do i buy"?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabrion

Solid State Member
This question is about video cards and mobos.

Is there a significant performance difference crossfiring on a mobo with x16/x4 PCI Exress 2.0 slots vs. x8x8 slots? If it matters, the cards will probably be 5850s (maybe 5770s though if I run out of money).

I would especially appreciate links to any kinds of testing done. While I value informed conjecture, I'd rather see some numbers. :)

The x4 PCI Express will bottleneck those cards so choose the x8x8 mobo.

I'm wouldn't say I doubt the truth of this statement, but like my OP says, I'm interested in numbers. If indeed it would bottleneck, I would like to know how much. Am I just going to lose a few frames, or is it going will my second card only be running at half power for instance?

Apok said:
What motherboards are you looking at? what socket and price?

Ideally something under $150, the cheaper the better. :) I know some of the mobos with 3x PCI Express 2.0 slots have at least 2 of them running at 16x, but they usually cost more than I want to spend.

I'm going to be embarrassed to say I don't know the nomenclature that well, but my processor will be an i5 750 (is that LGA 1156 socket?).

Second SOULphiRE's recommendation, the new msi series of motherboards are good at the budget end. To the OP, it's too hrd to provide numbers as no trusted reviewers test on a limited platform, all will use full 16x while testing dual gpus. However in previous generations and forums members who have tried around forums it has been proven that 8x on the second card does not make too much difference with current gen cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom