Site Layout

Burn

Fully Optimized
May I just ask why we have the TF News/Information forum at the bottom of the page?

Seems like it would fit better at the top

Some one mentioned this a while ago, it was originally at the top of the site but got moved down here for some reason.

Can i ask what it matters? Not like the news section get all the news posted in it. Think about it. It gets news that doesnt fit into any other category on the site. It gets the left overs. The stuff that would be put in OT basically. So why have it at the top, when all the relevant news for the sections is posted in the sections?

Seems to me that having the news posted in the sections is far more effective than moving a whole section to the top.

But the main reason is it would mess up the SEO....god that excuse is starting to bug the frick outta me....

And it gets very little traffic, question is why have it at all...22 threads since October 15 :p

But come to think of it there are lots of replies in some of them...including my replies...hehe I need to think more before posting.

Can i ask what it matters? Not like the news section get all the news posted in it. Think about it. It gets news that doesnt fit into any other category on the site. It gets the left overs. The stuff that would be put in OT basically. So why have it at the top, when all the relevant news for the sections is posted in the sections?

Seems to me that having the news posted in the sections is far more effective than moving a whole section to the top.

But the main reason is it would mess up the SEO....god that excuse is starting to bug the frick outta me....
I'm talking about the whole TF Info forum, not just the news... And sure it doesn't get much activity but moving it no doubt would increase that... For example in the PM you sent me you said that only about 1% of the forum even knows to scroll down that far. Well if it was at the top, it would be right there... No need to scroll down the whole page.

And saying it isn't active is partially due to it being at the bottom of the page, imo.

And to quote Kmote
Yeah but that would make perfect sense...

If you put it at the top, you then have to scroll down to the more technical threads.

As a regular user, thats okay, but someone coming in off a search will find it annoying. They come in and look for help, not info/news. And as you put said, It'd no long be "Right there, and you'd have to scroll down to get to it."

The layout works perfect for the new traffic, and if/once they become more familiar, a simple scroll is quite easy to get to the "Other" threads.

patonb said:
If you put it at the top, you then have to scroll down to the more technical threads.

As a regular user, thats okay, but someone coming in off a search will find it annoying. They come in and look for help, not info/news. And as you put said, It'd no long be "Right there, and you'd have to scroll down to get to it."

The layout works perfect for the new traffic, and if/once they become more familiar, a simple scroll is quite easy to get to the "Other" threads.
That was the original reasoning for the current structure.

I wouldn't mind seeing some things moved up or down, but it is not a huge issue to me. Every new member is sent a PM that includes a link to the Introduction forum, as well as some other forums found further down the list.

I'm talking about the whole TF Info forum, not just the news... And sure it doesn't get much activity but moving it no doubt would increase that... For example in the PM you sent me you said that only about 1% of the forum even knows to scroll down that far. Well if it was at the top, it would be right there... No need to scroll down the whole page.

And saying it isn't active is partially due to it being at the bottom of the page, imo.

So your trying to use something I said in a private message against me?

But what in the world does the site Announcements have to do with someone looking for an answer to a problem they are having? What does the site announcements have to do with someone coming in from a search engine?

What does new member introductions have to do with this? What does our F@H team have to do with it? Absolutely nothing!

Do you think someone who is having issues cares about our site Announcements? Do you think they care if or what F@H is or that we have a team for it? Do you think they care about the new members saying "Hi"?

So tell me know what purpose does it serve moving that area to the top of the site? You do not think in the terms of the big picture. Which is something that i also said to you in the private message.

You think that moving the forum up will actually do something? Then you have a lot to learn still about this site. Just scroll through the sections. How many threads are created daily which could easily be answered by just checking topics that have READ FIRST as the heading?

All moving it up will do is cause people to complain that they have to scroll to get to the info they want, and they will still ignore it. I said that 1% of the site even knows to scroll that far to see the sections now, but less than 1% even bother to read it.

I have run enough sites to know this. I have been here long enough to see that the current layout is by far the best one we have had in 6 years. But dont take my word for it. Having 6 years in on this site hasnt given me such insite. I am just a bitter old fool according to many.

So your trying to use something I said in a private message against me?
No, just as an example.

You think that moving the forum up will actually do something? Then you have a lot to learn still about this site.
And that's why I asked in the first place. That's the point of asking questions right? To learn?

All moving it up will do is cause people to complain that they have to scroll to get to the info they want, and they will still ignore it. I said that 1% of the site even knows to scroll that far to see the sections now, but less than 1% even bother to read it
Ok, I was just curious/had a suggestion... jeez

Back
Top Bottom