How to get rid of IE??

Status
Not open for further replies.

wongb18c

In Runtime
Sorry for the noobish question........

but for a long long time now I've been using firefox browser.... I like it a lot.... I never use IE anymore because of the potential spyware etc... I was wondering how do I delete IE all together from my comp? Because believe it or not sometimes when I click on certain things that is associated in one way or another with IE.... IE browser will open and I'll get random IE pop-up windows not long after. At this point I really don't need internet explorer but it won't let me remove it from control panel.. when I try to manually delete the IE folder it won't let me either.
Was wondering if there's a way to get rid of it? And is it wise to do so.

I'm using win2000pro btw.... which game with IE.... and at that time I upgraded to IE6 if I remember right... I don't know if this matter or now but anyhow it's not on the remove list.

u acnt uninstall IE, but you can set Firefox as your default brower. no IE then.

if u accidently press IE icon everytime, then better is to get rid of icons rather than software itself.

Keep in Mind, Firefox has some minor flaws in understanding layers and javascript, thats y i'm keeping both. though 90% of my usage is via FireFox.

There's a catch about IE that makes it almost impossible to remove, and that is...IE is not used just for the Internet.

The same tools and programming that runs IE is also used for many Windows functions, including aspects of folder browsing, active desktops, and more. IE is a built-in application of Windows and is there for a reason, even though it can be a pain somethimes.

here what you do when you start from scratch.

install windows xp. next install your personal firewall, not xp's. Avoid norton if you can(it automatically gives some microsoft stuff access to internet, even if you tell it to ask you first). install netscape 7.2 and firefox. Make firefox you default browser and import all of IE settings. install adaware 6, spybot, spyware blaster and set them accordingly, along with setting your firewall. do not set any permanent setting for IE on you firewall

now you can use firefox to browse. when you come across a page that only IE can work, open IE. your firewall should come asking you if you want to let IE access the internet. click yes

Make sure you don't check 'remember this answer next time' (zonealarm's) or 'always allow this action' (norton's firewall)

this way people can't come through your computer via IE's many holes.

Microsoft refuse to fix all of IE holes, because they use many of them to snoop on you to see what you are doing.

you can actually uninstall it, in the add/remove window components section.

the probelm with that is, some site will only work with IE (mostly small sites and microsoft windows update)

vance43211 said:
here what you do when you start from scratch.

install windows xp. next install your personal firewall, not xp's. Avoid norton if you can(it automatically gives some microsoft stuff access to internet, even if you tell it to ask you first). install netscape 7.2 and firefox. Make firefox you default browser and import all of IE settings. install adaware 6, spybot, spyware blaster and set them accordingly, along with setting your firewall. do not set any permanent setting for IE on you firewall

He's using 2000 Pro, and i don't believe he wants to switch (which isn't a bad move at all)

you cant uninstall through the add/remove, that just reverts to previous versions. if you somehow remove IE you'll wind up screwing winshell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom