Won't Boot Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonardmp92

Daemon Poster
Hello,

Fixing a desktop. Windows XP. I have the original Windows XP disk.

During startup, recognizes the graphics card, then bios, then go to the screen that says that windows did not shut down properly, but doesnt let me select anything except "Start windows normally", then goes to find the CD (with the Windows XP in it), but doesnt recognize it and starts all over again.

I changed the bios to only recognize the CD, but still does the same thing.

I just want to reinstall XP on the HD.

Any suggestions?

Aw geez I shoulda read this thread, this is EXACTLY my problem too!
Except I have a core 2 duo and a windows 7 install.

Hi,

So none of you see the: 'Press any key to boot from CD...' message just after the POST sequence?

Some BIOSes have a 'enable/disable boot from CD' option as well as a 'boot order' option. Check your BIOS for both these options, and make sure that they are set appropriately.

Also, most BIOSes allow you to list and choose a boot device 'on the fly' during the POST sequence, by pressing a specific key. The key is usually shown at the bottom of the screen when you first turn on your computer. If this option is available to you, try booting into your optical drive using this method.

The only other thing to try that I can think of is to reset your BIOS, re-set the boot order & enable booting into CD, then try booting into the Windows 7 setup disc again.

No I am not seeing "press any key to boot from CD" where as using the same XP CD, I see the message on my old P4 2 ghz. I went to boot order, made sure CD-ROM was first in order. What about hitting F12 during bootup?

OK, these are my troubleshooting steps:

1. 1st computer: Reset the bios by the jumper method and took out the 3V battery, still was stuck in a boot loop.

2. Took out the hard drive from the 1st computer which would not boot up and put into my other desktop which I know works fine (Mobo, ram, etc). The hard drive from the 1st computer worked fine in my other desktop and the "start windows normally screen" went away, so I think it could be the following problems:

- Faulty power supply, it's only 430W and its over 4 yrs old, plus it is running a core 2 duo, graphics card, looks like a tv tuner also.

- RAM, but the bios said the RAM looked fine.

- Mobo...but not sure how to check this.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Got my problem solved, the CD drive was not hooked up to the motherboard LOL. Weird, thought I checked that. Anyways now the keyboard and mouse won't turn on in windows XP... wtf? They turn on during boot sequence though before the win XP loading screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom