Upgrade for PC Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

notmyusername

Beta member
Hi Yami, since this thread asks the same question I have, and since you seem like someone who knows what they're about, I'm gonna jump in here.

I also would like info on how best to upgrade my pc for gaming. Recently, I started playing Aion, and any time there are a lot of players in one spot, my pc lags so bad that I literally cant tell what is going on at all.

I currently have an off-the-shelf Dell Dimension 4600 from 2004, and would like to use as much from it as possible to save money. I understand that I need to replace my motherboard, processor, and video card at a minimum.

Based on my brief searching this morning, I believe an Intel Core 2 Quad would be a good processor, but which one do I need, Q9550, Q8400 ($100 bucks cheaper than the 9550), etc. I dont need to be able to run 10 processing intensive programs at once, I just want my game to stop lagging, so would the Q8400 be good enough?

I have no idea what motherboard or video card would be good, any advice?

Other questions I have:

I currently have 2 hard drives, I believe they are Sata, but now I cant remember, one of them came with the computer if that helps. My question is, will I still be able to use these, or will I have to replace them as well?

On another site, I read that when upgrading the motherboard, I would need to use the Windows install CD to make Windows work with the new motherboard, I dont have the CD, so can I work around this? Or should I just go ahead and upgrade to Windows 7 at the same time?
*Edit: Also, I have an image of my current OS saved on my second harddrive, not sure if that would change the answer to the above question?

Thanks for the help.

Re: Need Help

Hi Yami, since this thread asks the same question I have, and since you seem like someone who knows what they're about, I'm gonna jump in here.
I would have preferred you had made a new thread on this, doesn't really matter though, can get a mod to move it for us :)

I currently have an off-the-shelf Dell Dimension 4600 from 2004, and would like to use as much from it as possible to save money.
You may have a problem here - Dell can be very annoying at making up their own standards and using them instead of what everyone else uses. So there's no guarantee that any parts you buy will fit in the case. I can't really be more specific as I've never owned a pre-built, let alone a Dell pre-built.

I understand that I need to replace my motherboard, processor, and video card at a minimum.
Yes, and you will likely need a new power supply as your Dell pre-built will likely not have a sufficiently powerful one. Another likelihood is that you will need to replace the RAM, as since it's from 2004 it will probably have DDR, instead of the much-more-common-nowadays DDR2 and DDR3 - it depends on how much it cost at the time.

Based on my brief searching this morning, I believe an Intel Core 2 Quad would be a good processor, but which one do I need, Q9550, Q8400 ($100 bucks cheaper than the 9550), etc. I dont need to be able to run 10 processing intensive programs at once, I just want my game to stop lagging, so would the Q8400 be good enough?
Q8400 would be good enough yes, however the Q8*** series wasn't that great; see if you can find the Q9400 anywhere (I live in the UK so I can't quote prices or sites).

I have no idea what motherboard or video card would be good, any advice?
Depends on your budget really. Motherboard depends on what processor you get, and whether you want to do SLI or Crossfire (multiple video cards) in future. Video card is very vague, as ones good enough for gaming start at around $80 and go up to $600.

I currently have 2 hard drives, I believe they are Sata, but now I cant remember, one of them came with the computer if that helps. My question is, will I still be able to use these, or will I have to replace them as well?
No, you can use them. But you'll need to back up any data off the drive the OS (windows XP I'm guessing?) is installed on, as you will need to install your OS again. Though in your case, depending on the size of the secondary drive you can probably put it all on there and then move the files you want back on after installing the OS.

On another site, I read that when upgrading the motherboard, I would need to use the Windows install CD to make Windows work with the new motherboard, I dont have the CD, so can I work around this? Or should I just go ahead and upgrade to Windows 7 at the same time?
Yes, you would need that disc. But I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (having gone from XP pro), and can wholeheartedly recommend upgrading :)

*Edit: Also, I have an image of my current OS saved on my second harddrive, not sure if that would change the answer to the above question?
That wouldn't work, as that OS will have been installed for different hardware.

Edit: Lol, I just realised how silly my post looks :p

Recommended Requirements
OS Windows 2000, Windows XP, Vista
CPU Pentium4 3.0G/ AMD Athlon 64 3000
HDD 20GB
VGA GeForce 6600/ Radeon X1550
Memory 1G
Network T1 1.5Mbps
Minimum Requirements
OS Windows 2000, Windows XP, Vista
CPU Pentium4 2.8G/ AMD Sempron 2800
HDD 20GB
VGA GeForce 5700/Radeon9600
Memory 512MB
Network T1 1.5Mbps

Since the requirements for this game aren't terribly high, i would recommend you make the minimum upgrade to be able to play it smoothely, then save money to get a new computer soon. The more money you throw at your current computer seems like a waste to me. So tell us your complete system specifications so we can recommend a decent upgrade. Specifically, motherboard specs! Or perhaps even the exact model number of your computer and we can find it on the net.

Since the requirements for this game aren't terribly high, i would recommend you make the minimum upgrade to be able to play it smoothely, then save money to get a new computer soon. The more money you throw at your current computer seems like a waste to me. So tell us your complete system specifications so we can recommend a decent upgrade. Specifically, motherboard specs! Or perhaps even the exact model number of your computer and we can find it on the net.

But, he's getting a new computer. At least, motherboard+CPU+RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom