Official Tech-Forums Post Your "Picture of the Day" Thread! (56k Warning)

hikaricloud

Golden Master
photo_thread.png

Alright, here's to a new thread with new beginnings. Here's how this is going to work.

1) This is a photography thread, not a random funny picture thread.
So nature shots, sure. Demotivational posters, no.

2) Post up only one picture per day.
Since this is typically difficult to judge based on the different timezones, a general rule of thumb is going to be 24 hours after your last post.

3) Discussion, critique, opinions, and advice are of course welcome, but keep it civil and within the forum rules.
I encourage constructive critique, because we can't really grow as photographers without input. Try to keep any comments about photos in depth, don't just say "wow that's really cool", explain why. Also, if someone specifically wants critique or advice, feel free to ask.

4) Posting camera/lens/photo specs is preferred, but not required.
Obviously, you aren't going to have access to these specs for all photos, or remember for that matter. For example, I have a bunch of 35mm photography from a few years back, and I can't even remember which of my lenses I used. So basically, post specs up when you have access to them.

5) You may post pictures you have previously posted in the other photo thread if you so choose.
I noticed with the other thread, there wasn't as much critique as there was just photos. So feel free to post up any of those photos (obviously one at a time!) here.

6) Large shots are encouraged WITHIN REASON.
A 1200px wide limit for shots posted in this thread. If you have a shot you'd like to share that's larger than that, provide a link to the full sized image instead of actually posting the image in this thread. This way with those shots you want to show off detail, we can still view them without breaking the forums too bad. ;)

7) Monthly themes are a work in progress.
My thinking is the first week of each month (or the last week of each month, whichever works), there could be a specific theme set, to keep things fresh and fun. For right this second, we'll just keep it regular.

So now all that stuff is out of the way, have fun!

**If you have an idea for a theme, or multiple themes, send me a PM. I'm going to keep a list of possibilities. You can also PM me any ideas you may have for the thread, this is as ongoing project of sorts.**

Banner courtesy of Andi (coloring) and I (composition), Tech-Forums logo courtesy of Baez, other images courtesy of google. Thank you google.

Re: Official Tech-Forums Post Your "Picture of the Day" Thread!

Here we go. Shot at around 11:30PM

3751798096_29157ccc1f_b.jpg

Camera: Nikon D300
Exposure: 0.013 sec (1/80)
Aperture: f/13.0
Focal Length: 80 mm
ISO Speed: 1250
Exposure Bias: +1/3 EV

S7300173.jpg

Taken summer 2007, at Duthie Park in Aberdeen, at the Winter Gardens. Taken on a Samsung D75, which at the time was a mid-range digital; can't exactly tell you much about the lens/aperture/etc :p

I have taken other shots on my mum's Canon DSLR but they're 800 miles away.

Edit: I can scale that down if wanted.
Oh, and I have a bunch of other pics from the Aberdeen Winter Gardens at this album, if anyone is interested. I especially like the penile cactus.

Hef: As always, great shot. The only thing that bugs me is the sun makes it almost look like there's no focal point because of the glare, but it's a really minor thing. Still love the shot.

Yami: First critique is the timestamp, of course. :p Other than that, the flower almost looks like it was photoshopped in...you had the flash on, right? Almost gives it a washed out look...but for a D75, it's not bad.

Here's an old shot:

buck000-R4-042-19A.jpg

I don't know most of the specs, but this was taken on my Canon Rebel X 35mm, I think with my 35-80mm lens. No flash, 800 speed film (hence the grain...bleh). This was taken on Nov 20th, 2005 in Philly at a local glass blowing shop.

Perhaps a 56k warning on this thread.

To really appreciate some shots they should be around 1024.

Nice shot. I would crop out the top third of it if it was me. Just above the frame in the back. The top part is wasted.

--Updated the rules to include size limits and such.--

Not a bad idea, I may play around with it in photoshop later.

Yami: First critique is the timestamp, of course. :p Other than that, the flower almost looks like it was photoshopped in...you had the flash on, right? Almost gives it a washed out look...but for a D75, it's not bad.

Yes I hate now that I hadn't turned the timestamp off >_< I'm not sure I had the flash on, it would entirely depend on the weather.

Yes I hate now that I hadn't turned the timestamp off >_< I'm not sure I had the flash on, it would entirely depend on the weather.

I know what you mean, I was using someone else's camera and forgot to turn of the time stamps...had a heck of a time editing those out.

Back
Top Bottom