Learning how to make games

If you are just one person software development team, that is about the only that you will be able to do it. And even there it will be hardwork.

I don't think theres such thing as a one person software development team, since the very name is a oxymoron.

If the original posters first worry is the price of a software language, then I think he really doesn't understand the time it requires to produce a well made game on his own. Time = money. The best type of games single users can make are old school 8 bit type games that don't focus on graphics. A good example is Cave Story and even that took a long time to make. ( 5+ years ). You really need a lot of money and time to produce a AAA title as others have stated.

Game design is my dream job, but I hate game programming. As Sirlin showed, getting a good game design job pretty much requires a LOT of luck and skill.

I don't think theres such thing as a one person software development team, since the very name is a oxymoron.

If the original posters first worry is the price of a software language, then I think he really doesn't understand the time it requires to produce a well made game on his own. Time = money. The best type of games single users can make are old school 8 bit type games that don't focus on graphics. A good example is Cave Story and even that took a long time to make. ( 5+ years ). You really need a lot of money and time to produce a AAA title as others have stated.

Game design is my dream job, but I hate game programming. As Sirlin showed, getting a good game design job pretty much requires a LOT of luck and skill.

If you are only a one person, the best you can do is use a level editor for another game. And even there, it's a lot of work. Many early back, I used to do some stuff with Lode Runner I & II. Plus a playied around a little bit with the Unreal and UT level editors. And lets not forget about some of the games I did in primary school with BASIC (My 3rd / 5th grade teacher hated me because of this).

Anyways, just some thing that I would like to propose to the TF community.
tech forums Suggestion :- http://www.techist.com/forums/f5/game-devoloping-subforum-206465/#post1644102

The way the game seemed in my head, would probably feel like WoW even though I've never played the full version I've seen videos on youtube of people playing Wow. Is it illegal to make a mod using the Engine that WoW uses?

My stepfather is a neuroscientist and does a lot of research with virtual reality. There's some program that he uses where you can create a world of sorts with a character to move around and interact with it. I used to make puzzle games with it when I was bored. I can't think of it of the top of my head but I'll post again when I find out.

I know this thread is from a while ago, but lets not forget that even with all the work it takes to make a game and the skill and the time and the luck... in the end there is still no money in it. Yes there are companies like Blizzard and EA games to name a couple that actually make money, but the majority of game development companies make little to nothing considering the work they put in. This is even more true in the past few years with the rise of pirating.

So basically, if you are at least 19 years old and haven't already made 3+ little games using C++, VB, whatever... then you will never make it in the gaming industry (not enough passion).

making games is not easy and can be very frustarting. Just like programming. Best of luck...

Just mod a game... Very easy on Half-life 2. But for making a game like this your probably gonna need a team of people for it to not take 10 years.

The driving game Gran Turismo 5 has a development team of over 140 people, and they have been developing it for over 4 years. And these guys are world class programmers, designers, and a modelers. Games take a long long time to make and todays best games are made by people that are the top of there field in the world.

I made myself a text based RPG game in C++ with a friend. That is about as simple of a game as you can make. It was about 3000lines of code and took about 30minutes to complete the game. It was fun though, it had stat tracking, random mob encounters, and character stats like attack and defense, you could take several routes and find mystery box's and stuff.

It was very basic C++ though, i could do it with a friend and a bit of online help after reading a 350page C++ introduction that used programming applications to open in cmd prompt to teach you stuff and a couple of weeks familiarization.

There are easier ways though, by using game developing programs and stuff - but even these are not simple and involve some programming.

I would like game design too i think, but i took the wrong qualifications to get into that area. Fortunately i enjoy programming when i understand it and know what i'm doing, i don't like it so much when i have no idea what to do and have no knowledge of the language. But i am pursuing a career in games programming. Doing Computing A-Levels which includes programming, then doing a BTEC National Diploma in Game Software Development at a local college, then after that doing a BSc Degree in Computer Games Programming, can't wait !

Machinarium

This game was independent and made entirely by one person I believe.

I am going to school for game design. Well getting my CS degree anyways. Its a long hard road but I am guess I will be done by the time I am 23 [crosses fingers]

Back
Top Bottom