Hard drive boot problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Army11b

Baseband Member
Hello all, im trying to put a hard drive into a different computer that I got, and when i boot up, it just hangs at the black screen, dos cursor flashing.. But the hard drive works fine in this comp.. I tried my other hard drive from my better comp and it booted up fine.. Any reason why this particular hard drive wont boot in this particular comp im working on? Could it be a jumper setting on the back of the HD? Thanks!

Matt

Is it a sata or ide hard drive? Does it have an operating system on it that you are trying to boot from or is just data? What motherboard are you using?

Is it a sata or ide hard drive? Does it have an operating system on it that you are trying to boot from or is just data? What motherboard are you using?

Its an IDE, It has windows xp and data on it.. The MB is an OLD one that has only pci slots, no agp or pci-e. Its a pentium 4 2.8 processor with 256k ram. Oh and its a gateway lol.

Matt

Ideally you would want to reinstall windows and install all of the correct drivers and such for the new motherboard. You could try a repair install first but you would still need to get the chipset and other drivers for that particular computer. What model of gateway is it?

^^ That is nice have never seen nor tried that. Will have to next time I am in that situation. I have always done the repair installation when reinstalling was not an ideal option. That looks much faster.

I would still always want a clean install on a new motherboard but sometimes it is not really a viable option.

Since the drive is ide there are no problems with needing a sata driver for win xp.

Used it on my wife's brother-in-law's computer the other day. It works. ;)

Ideally you would want to reinstall windows and install all of the correct drivers and such for the new motherboard. You could try a repair install first but you would still need to get the chipset and other drivers for that particular computer. What model of gateway is it?

Its a gateway 310. Ill just back up what I need and do a fresh format/install of windows, because when I boot it up, it doesn't show me the screen "you have recently chaged hardware" "start windows normally, last used settings, safe mode, etc" It just goes to a blank screen with a flashing cursor. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom