Can you build a decent complete system for ~500?

Status
Not open for further replies.

myowngod

In Runtime
My parents are in dire need of a new computer... all they really need is something basic.. they have a 2.8Ghz AMD single core, 15in CRT monitor, and everything else is from 5 years ago - my mom wants something a little faster... and I've found a few package deals with monitors (pre-made) for ~500-600 dollars.. I have a hard time not selecting higher end parts for a build... can you build a complete system (that's better than buying from a manufacturer) for around 500? a cheap 20-22in lcd is ~120... I was figuring a <$50 case... but beyond that I have no clue what to aim for... was figuring a dual core AMD build to keep the price down... but wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations before I started pricing stuff out...

If they trash their current system, scavenge what they can (opticals, hard drives), you could harvest the license from the old machine and use it on the new one.

Trotski to the rescue. The optical drive probably isn't a DVD burner if it's 5 years old, but the license might be a viable option. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom