Building a New High End Gaming PC - Need help/suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noniy

In Runtime
Well, my Current PC has felt to come out of date for the needs of the High End Gaming and Video Editing and Publishing.
And I'm going to be Be building a HIGH END GAMING PC.

To first state off, please don't accuse me of having overkill, I don't want it to just able to handle, I want high performance.

All i Really need help in is the following:

CPU Cooler/Heat Sink
Thermal Paste
Ram
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Operating system
and Case.

All first Start off with What PC Parts i Have already Chosen for my Build:

MotherBoard:
EVGA nForce 750i SLI FTW
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Graphics Card: XFX GeForce GTX 285
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar 1TB 7200RPM

Ok for the Ram,
I need 4GB of High end ram with low timings.

For the CPU Cooler/Heat Sink,
I will need best possible that is under $80, and can keep my CPU under 35 degree.

For The Thermal Paste,
Top of the Line best there is for under $15.

For the Case,
One made out of the coolest metal material that will keep my system cool, that has several fans (5 or more), and at least 4 Internal Drive Bays, and that can fit the 750i Motherboard i mentioned above.

For the Optical Drive,
I'm clueless when it comes to optical drives, so i just want one that has Sata capabilities, that runs a a fast speed, and that can run anything (But BlueRay and HD movies of course)

For Operating system,
Ill be needing a 64 bit one due to the fact of the 4GB ram i will be getting. I want it to be Vista but I'm not sure which to get, Home Premium or Ultimate.

For the Power Supply,
We can all discuss that later after I have all my Specs fully Determined for exactly what i want for my PC.

Also for the parts i have already chosen, if you have any recommendation to change them to something else, please let me know.

I Thank you for all your Help in Advanced,
I very Much Appreciate it,
Best Regards,
Noniy.

Well based upon what you are saying about wanting high end I would switch your choice of cpu and motherboard to an Intel i7 920 and a x58 board. It seems a little crazy to pair a gtx 285 with an older cpu.

Get vista home premium 64bit.
Get a corsair tx 750 or 850.
thermal paste mx2

For heatsink and ram it depends upon if you want to switch to an i7 build. Then you would get 6gb tri channel ram and a i7 compatible heatsink.

Okay, here is my advice. For starters, you probably should have posted your thread to this forum:
Building, Buying, or Upgrading High Performance PC Systems.
Secondly, Google and even the search function of these forums are a valuable tool. Many of your questions and "needs" have been brought up before. Look for them. It appears to me that you don't want to do any of the grunt work yourself. Spend the time looking at different components as far as RAM, Processor, Case PSU, etc. Taking recomendations and asking for advice is great, but at the end of the day it is YOUR money that is going into your system. Make sure YOU understand what it is you are getting. Don't buy something because one or two people say its good. Again, it goes back to doing some of your own research. If you have questions, then by all means ask. But try to spend the time looking at the different components and seeing what people are saying about them. Over time, you will get a grasp of what is good, and what might be best to stay away from. I think that the folks here are overly curtious (sometimes to a fault) with helping people with builds. In my short time here, I have seen almost identical posts from different users. "Help me build this", or "How do I do that?"
Now that my little rant is over, you can check out these:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/adjust-my-i7-build-resurrection-201927/
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/could-you-guys-help-me-building-computer-please-x-201151/

There are many other threads out there. Again, the search function is your friend.
-Pure

Well based upon what you are saying about wanting high end I would switch your choice of cpu and motherboard to an Intel i7 920 and a x58 board. It seems a little crazy to pair a gtx 285 with an older cpu.

Get vista home premium 64bit.
Get a corsair tx 750 or 850.
thermal paste mx2

For heatsink and ram it depends upon if you want to switch to an i7 build. Then you would get 6gb tri channel ram and a i7 compatible heatsink.

Ok ill look into those parts.

Last time i even though about building, the Q6600 was quite a good CPU, aswell as the 750i mobo i mentioned.

Ok ill look into those parts.

Last time i even though about building, the Q6600 was quite a good CPU, aswell as the 750i mobo i mentioned.

They still are good parts, there is just newer technology now.....so you might as well use it.....if you already had a rig with the mobo,ram and cpu you mentioned, then a GTX 285 would still be a great gpu for that system....since you need everything, you might as well get the latest.

Q6600 is a bit old now... I agree that it would be silly to pair it with a 285.

+1 vote on the i7 920 and x58

Home premium is fine... I think ultimate is a waste of money.
You don't need to spend 80 bucks on a hs/f

If you go with an i7 build, you'll want 6GB ram for tri-channel

Its imbalanced as it is....If you have not ordered those parts yet I'd like to add my vote for switching to an i7 build.

Since an i7 will require (obviously a new UP) aswell as an entire mobo and ram (all more expensive) its wiser to either 1) Spend the money now 2) Get a cheaper GPU since that'll be wasting a good 285

If you know anyone who works at Microsoft you can ask them to buy you a copy of a pricier vista, otherwise go with home premium

EDIT: Also getting a smallish SSD to mount your OS on is really sweet and adds to the high-end aspect lol

Don't get a Q9650, way too expensive for the performance you get versus the i7 build. I mean, the processor costs more than the i7 920, and it's inferior in comparison. If you can't get the i7 build, then get a Q9550, it's 50 bucks less than the 9650. They're pretty much the exact same processors except the 9650 has a slightly higher multi, making it 3.0ghz. You don't need to spend an extra 50 bucks on that.

But I still think an i7 build would be better, you're gonna shell out a lot of money either way, and the i7 build is way more future-proof than any s775 build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom