AMD or Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apok has a point, a die shrink allows for more over clocking head room. As well as a performance increase. Now is it true or not if the Phenoms were able to hit 3.5ghz or not. Even if it was on a water set up. That alone leads me to believe that the Deneb will be able to hit 4.0ghz also due to the fact that with the die shrink it will attain a lower TDP.

True, it may have better OC potential, in fact history shows us it should. But will that make it automatically better than Intel's chips? You need more than improved OC performance. In fact if AMD wants to win this round their chip have to be faster at stock.

You know another discrepancy here. None of the people arguing against puddle and I have had recent Intel systems of their own. But puddle and myself both own fairly recent AMD system. We know what happens on both sides. Knowledge hole much?

You may not have specifically said how much of an ICP increase increase its getting but you did make assumptions.
Uh... no.
Sounds like an assumption to me.
That's not an assumption. It's a reasonable expectation based on credible evidence.

And jsut another thing to throw out there. Since we are on the topic of how good Deneb will be. A long long time ago Apok you had to say this

a die shrink, an instruction set and extra cache is not much in relation to architectural changes.

You cant have it both ways. Your talking about how much better Deneb will be with simple changes, but on the topic of the Core2 you said it dosent amount to much. So which way is it?
I was only wrong in that it had more than what I described.

But a die shrink != architectural change, adding cache doesn't really amount to an architectural change, and an extra instruction set isn't much of an architectural change.

So both what I said now and what I said then are still true, except for the fact that what I described wasn't all the changes that were included in Intel's 45nm transition.
True, it may have better OC potential, in fact history shows us it should. But will that make it automatically better than Intel's chips? You need more than improved OC performance.
Which Deneb has.
In fact if AMD wants to win this round their chip have to be faster at stock.
Or at least win on a cost basis. Kinda like RV770.
But Deneb will be releasing at 3GHZ initially (and that alone says something about overclocking potential)

You know another discrepancy here. None of the people arguing against puddle and I have had recent Intel systems of their own. But puddle and myself both own fairly recent AMD system. We know what happens on both sides. Knowledge hole much?
Which is a complete red herring and/or an argumentum ad-hominen
And it assumes that, because I haven't bought my own Intel Core 2 systems, that I haven't used any (which I have, including setting things up and overclocking for less competent friends)

True, it may have better OC potential, in fact history shows us it should. But will that make it automatically better than Intel's chips? You need more than improved OC performance. In fact if AMD wants to win this round their chip have to be faster at stock.

Apparently stock doesn't mean much for Intel CPU's anyways (Core2Duos). By the way I would have gladly bought a E7200 back when I was making my first build. But AMD was all I could afford at the time, the only other chips that were in the same price range (at the time) were a bunch of P4's. Talk about Price/Performance ratio.

From what I can see as of this moment, only time can tell. But once again I wouldn't doubt Deneb could hit 4ghz. So it maybe the successors of the Deneb that are the Goliaths we've been looking forward to.

You didn't look too hard hussien. Allendales a great little chips. puddle has one and its better than the amd chips it competes with.

My budget was about 80$ for a CPU and I couldn't really stretch farther then that. While my current AMD CPU was only 60$ with free shipping and handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom