Coretemp confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

J9Darkwing

Baseband Member
Salute!
I downloaded Coretemp (the Vista64 version) and it shows my cores to read (right now at idle) 56, 54, 51, 52. Which I don't think is a bad idle for stock cooling and OC'd to 2.8ghz. But when I open my PCprobe it tells me my CPU is running at 45c. I've been doing some overclocking and stress testing using the pcprobe and have seen it get as high as 69c running Orthos.
Which should I trust? That little voice in the back of my mind is telling me to play it safe and use the Coretemp because I've used pcprobe before and it's a crack riddled program if I've ever used one but I thought I'd get some opinions.
My system is:
Q6600 G0 stepping
Asus P5N32-E sli
Nvidia 7800GTX (x1)
4gig Crucial ddr2 6400

I have the same CPU as you and mine is also OC'd to 2.8 GHz on stock (can't afford a better cooler yet). Anyway I have a similar problem, the program that came on my mobo's driver disk reads lower temps than Core Temp. However considering how it isn't safe for a Q6600 to go over 71*C and how everyone here seems to trust Core Temp, I use its readings just to play it safe instead of my mobo's program.

First and foremost, look at the temp in the BIOS, because that will be the most accurate. Try some other monitoring programs such as Everest or Speedfan.

You need better cooling or to reduce your OC as well if your getting temps up at 69*C.

Thanks MetalOwns, I'll look into Everest. I tried speedfan and got some very confusing readings so I went back to the cooltemp. For some reason I can't use CPUz because when I turn it on it somehow deactivates the monitoring of most of my cpu fans. They still run but I get a big 0 for their rpms in pcprobe and they disappear completely in the bios and I have to reset it manually.

Blitersety I could have sworn I had some AS5 around here from my last built but I couldn't find it so I just left whatever hs paste came with the cpu on it. I'm going to order some as5 next Friday when I order my hsf. I'm considering going with the Zalman 7900. I have very good airflow through my case so I may go with the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme. I thought I saw somewhere that people mount a fan on the 120E so I may do that but I'll have to read more about it first. I already have 5 120mm fans on my case so I'm thinking there should be plenty of airflow. I still have one extra fan and two more fan power points on my mb so if I need to mount one on the 120E I can.

First and foremost, look at the temp in the BIOS, because that will be the most accurate. Try some other monitoring programs such as Everest or Speedfan.

You need better cooling or to reduce your OC as well if your getting temps up at 69*C.

Actually Coretemp is a better reading than the BIOS...TAT and or Coretemp.

However understand that there is technically 3 different temps you can see for a Dual-core. Coretemp measures the actual 2 Core's inside of the chip while BIOS, Speedfan and others measure the whole chip itself which tends to be lower than the actual chips themselves. I go by the actual chip itself which is usually around 53-54 for me max load. while my core's are 63-68. I would say keep the core's under 70 and you will be fine.

Everest measures all three temps...so does speedfan, albeit not accurately on my computer. The cores and CPU temp are normally right around each other anyway (within 2-3 degrees)...for me at least

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom