Whats the perfomance increase from a dual core to quad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

R1C0CH3T

Daemon Poster
I'm debating with me and myself with wether or not to get a new mobo/cpu combo. Right now i have a amd x2 4200 on the evga matx mobo. I am thinking of getting 2x evga 8800 gt's for christmas, and then wait until the brand new intel or amd procs come out after christmas. At that time, I would sell my 4200 and the evga mobo, along with the ram. I have 2 gigs of ddr2 standing by, too. What do you guys think? I'm really into cod4 right now, and the fps is pretty low and its takin a lot away from the game.

If you can afford it, the SLI GT's will hold up to pretty much everything you can chuck at it for the next year. Just remember that most SLI mobo's make you pay through the teeth.

Right now, the difference would only be noticeable if you run loads of background programmes because not many apps are even threaded for C2D let alone C2Q. But it's all about future proofing that build, and the Q6600 will hold up in its price range (the G0 stepping especially) and thats why its recommended so often.

i know, i already have sli'd 7900gt's on my evga mobo right now. i dont really multitask at all, maybe have 1 firefox window open while im gaming. I think thats my plan, just buy 2 8800gt's. sweet!

both COD4 and UT3 are very CPU limited games...

At what resolution do you game? I suggest buying 1 8800GT along with a new mobo/cpu combo. You can upgrade to Penryn when it comes out.

Quad won't improve your performance in gaming unless the game supports multi-core CPUs, otherwise OCing a cheaper dual-core will provide the most bang for buck.

Quad won't improve your performance in gaming unless the game supports multi-core CPUs, otherwise OCing a cheaper dual-core will provide the most bang for buck.

Considering the price difference between a q6600 and a dual core, its definately worth it for a quad core. Most games coming out from this point on DO support multithreading, so the quad core is going to come into its own very soon.

As far as SLI GT's go, do it. Fear my 18500 3dmark06 score with the rig in my sig.

eh, ill slaughter your score soon enough vdub. The price difference is great too, vdub, around 50 for a proc like mine and like 260 for a quad? SLI 8800's here i come. Wait, how long before the 8900s come out again? lol

8900/9800's whatever they end up being called probably wont be out until next year some time. I just hope they are within my step up period. Although considering how cheap i picked up my GT's i'll probably be better off selling them than stepping them up. And i plan to break 19k this weekend. Got the quad up to 3.8ghz but it crashed in 3dmark06, gotta push a little more juice.

eh, ill slaughter your score soon enough vdub. The price difference is great too, vdub, around 50 for a proc like mine and like 260 for a quad? SLI 8800's here i come. Wait, how long before the 8900s come out again? lol
sli 8800gt will definatly bottleneck any $50 proc
unless you have an e2140 @ 3.0 i guess....its possible
what do you have?

Theres also no way a 50 dollar proc is going to get nearly the same amount of points as a quad core running at 3.6ghz+ I should have a new score posted tonight running at 3.8ghz and 720/2000 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom