Bottleneck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djh6598

Solid State Member
Comp is in my sig. Scratch the 7900gt because i'm ordering an 8800gtx later tonight. What would be the most important upgrade? Also, I feel my computer temps are a little high and need some suggestions for cooling. I have a Gigabyte 3D Aurora with 3 120 mm fans(1 in front, 2 in back). Thanks.

You can do whatever you want, but I was wondering why you were going with the 8800GTX instead of the 8800GT?

I would've avoided that psu in your sig if you were building brand new, but you'll have to stick with it for now. The OCZ GameXStream have been known to have "rippling" issues, and what that comes down to is shortening the life of your hardware or the danger of it getting damaged. I wouldn't worry entirely about it unless you're willing to purchase a Corsair 520HX.

Instead of a GTX, save some cash and get an 8800GT, they are on par as far as performance is concerned and it consumes less energy and only takes up one slot instead of two.

Because I like to waste money? I want to come as close to are be able to max settings on cod4 and crysis with good fps. Whats the difference in the 8800gts and 8800gt?

Cooling? Try an old (no budget) trick I've used sinse I was a child.
Fill a ziplock bag with water.
freeze the water in the bag.
seal the ice in a nother bag. Just incase there is a whole.
Wrap the ice in a towl (or any cloth) a few times to absorb condensation and keep you from freezing your system.
place it on/near/around your system. Where it is hottest is where I would use it.

Like I said I used that when I was a kid with no money. It works still. Just be careful.

Another no bugdet cooling suggestion is to place a bowl of ice in front of a spair fan.

LOL

Because I like to waste money? I want to come as close to are be able to max settings on cod4 and crysis with good fps. Whats the difference in the 8800gts and 8800gt?

I'm working in US dollars here. The 8800GT, where available, is anywhere between $229 and $279 and performs right under the 8800GTX with a very negligible difference, like 1-5 fps max, and overclocking will generally close that gap. It's tons better than the 8800GTS and costs about the same and is a lot cheaper than that 8800GTX.

Your cpu will not be an issue as far as bottlenecking's concerned, as I mentioned though, try and switch out that OCZ GameXStream power supply with a Corsair 520HX, it will serve you better later on and is a much more stable power supply, despite the 80 lesser watts you'll be getting.

lol I was thinking more along the lines of good heatsinks, watercooling options, etc...

Tuniq Tower 120... plus if u have any intention of going to a quad-core Phenom... its got enough cooling for that.. but u should know that the x2 6000+ isn't much of an overclocker.. Apok only got 3.4something ghz with watercooling..

Ok I will look into it, thanks. Also, what is the best version of the 8800gt to buy? Is it worth getting the SSC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom