There's More NVIDIA G92 coming late 2007 (8800GTS 128SP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgcook

Fully Optimized
New 8800GTS 512mb & 1GB with 128SP in December

But Wait, There's More NVIDIA G92 for 2007

On the heels of one of its most successful launches in history, NVIDIA sets its sights on AMD's next graphics refresh

NVIDIA's GeForce 8800 GT might be remembered as one of the most successful NVIDIA graphics cards of our time, at least according to the flurry of reviews this week. Virtually every top tier e-tailer managed to sell out of the card in less than two days.

Yet NVIDIA isn't done yet. A G92-derivative will appear later this year with even more shader units. According to company guidance, the new G92 will launch in early December and feature 128 shader units as opposed to the 112 featured on GeForce 8800 GT.

This would be mean the additional 16 shader units exist on all GeForce 8800 GT cards, but are disabled for yield or marketing purposes. In addition to the extra shaders, the new G92 will also feature higher core frequencies and support for up to 1GB GDDR3.

The new 65nm G92 has a tentative SKU designation of GeForce 8800 GTS. This might sound confusing as NVIDIA already sports a GeForce 8800 GTS card based on the 90nm G80 silicon. However, since G92 sports a 256-bit memory interface, the new 8800 GTS cards will feature traditional memory blocks of 512MB or 1024MB. The older, G80-based GeForce 8800 GTS features 320-bit memory blocks of 320MB or 640MB.

As the new GeForce 8800 GT generally outpaces the existing GeForce 8800 GTS, the new GeForce 8800 GTS will likely surpass NVIDIA's high-end GeForce 8800 GTX and potentially GeForce 8800 Ultra.

NVIDIA doesn't just risk cannibalizing its own high-end offerings -- AMD's launch schedule for Radeon HD 3800 (RV670) is slated for just a few days before NVIDIA's G92 re-launch. AMD corporate guidance suggests the company will launch its Phenom desktop processor and RD790 desktop chipset simultaneously with its new graphics offering.

Source: DailyTech

wow lol, i just read the same thing on evga's website

hopefully they'll give me the second revision gts once mine dies from too much overclocking...it also says that the 8800GT comes with locked shaders...so there might be a way to unlock them?

wow lol, i just read the same thing on evga's website

hopefully they'll give me the second revision gts once mine dies from too much overclocking...it also says that the 8800GT comes with locked shaders...so there might be a way to unlock them?

they are laser etched out..

it doesnt make sense. they purposedly limited them to 112 knowing the G92 can do 128.

wow, this just ****es me off. Why on earth would they release a card to potentially beat their own current high end cards? I just bought a GTX 2 or 3 weeks ago. I swear, if this card surpasses the GTX, I better still have time left on my step-up, or I will be very angry.

I realize that faster cards at lower prices mean great value and performance, and the consumer of course wins, but sheesh. I'll feel so bad if I wasted 550.00 on a soon to be outdated card...

they did it because they didnt want a card to out perform a GTX or Ultra for UBER cheap...to make it so people will still buy the GTX's and Ultras.

It would surpass a GTX. The current GT overclocked can do it I believe. for 229$ lol. I know how you feel lol I spent 800 on an ultra ^^

it will still be a great card reguardless.. but maybe I can squeeze some money out of em to put towards somethign else.

check this post out..scroll down to about the end until u read the EVGA moderator's posts...he says the newly released GTS alrdy have 112SP....and i guess the 128SP are yet to come.

To answer your questions, yes, this card has 112 Stream Processors.

Also, a version of this card is available for step-up, and this is part number 640-P2-N824-A1.

Thanks,

Well I guess I might be able to RMA this card too if the time runs out for me to do step-up... I don't really care about the 15% restocking fee for newegg, I'd still have enough money to buy the new GTS (hopefully) and maybe even have a little left over...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom