8800gts vs my processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uberg

Baseband Member
I recently bought a nice 8800GTS 640mb (BFG).

Now, i know this is far superior to my processor, but i was just wondering how much my processor will be letting my graphics card down.

I have an e6320 which is by default 1.8ghz, but i overclocked it to 3.0ghz. Also, I have 2gb of 667mhz RAM. In Windows Vista.

The main think i noticed was in the Crysis Beta my friend got superior framerates with the 320mb, non-overclocked version of the card. He has a 3.0ghz processor but it is not overclocked.

I don't plan on upgrading anything in the near future, i was just wondering how much potential i am missing out on.

I think that its the speed of the RAM thats doing it more than anything else. Try to bump it up to 800MHz and see how it is then.

Ah, you're already here!

I take it you would recommend the RAM you mentioned in my other thread, then?

Well i have already overclocked my processor to 3.0ghz and my graphics card was already overclocked a bit by BFG. What do you mean?

Well i have already overclocked my processor to 3.0ghz and my graphics card was already overclocked a bit by BFG. What do you mean?

Overclock the RAM if its still at 667MHz. Whats your FSB/RAM ratio? Or does your mobo support unlinked overclocking?

I think the RAM automatically went up when i did the processor, but i'm not sure. I'm quite nooby at this. What is the fsb/RAM ratio and how do i find it?

Try bumping your ram up to 800mhz first and see if that helps. In the bios there will be a memory multiplier that adjusts memory speed vs fsb. You can find out what your current memory speed is by downloading cpu-z.

I think the RAM automatically went up when i did the processor, but i'm not sure. I'm quite nooby at this. What is the fsb/RAM ratio and how do i find it?

Are you sure that the RAM is at 667MHz? I think that you should check. The FSB/RAM ratio can be found in the BIOS, in the overclocking menu.

BTW, what Mobo do you have?

Here is all the info on the overclocking menu, it's easier if i just post this as i have little knowledge of what we're actually talking about :)

The motherboard is Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 Socket 775

CPU Clock Ratio: 6x
CPU Host Frequency: 429 mhz
PCI Express Frequency: Auto
System Memory Multiplier: 2.0
Memory Freqency: 858

Does that help or mean anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom