Temps for Q6700 vs. QX6850

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the difference between MX-2 and Arctic Silver 5?

Arctic Cooling's MX-1 and 2, are a bit better than AS5. MX-2 is probably the current leading TIM....well...behind Liquid Pro.

Refer to my Battle of the Thermal Pastes link, below my sig.

Arctic Cooling's MX-1 and 2, are a bit better than AS5. MX-2 is probably the current leading TIM....well...behind Liquid Pro.

Refer to my Battle of the Thermal Pastes link, below my sig.

nobody looks at the Sticky's anymore do they.....

well, I run a q6600, g0 stepping, overclocked. Idle it runs at core temps of around 30/30/24/24 in ambient 20* temp. Loaded, perhaps 60/60/50/50 (prolly partially due to imperfect seating of the the thermal paste/ heatsink and partially due to the core useage). Reading around, this kind of discrepancy between cores doesn't seem to be uncommon.

I reseated the heatsink (Termalright Ultra 120 Extreme). I spread a very thin layer of grease on the processor, and seated the heatsink.

My temps are still about 47C at idle in room with a comfortable ambient temp (don't know exactly, but probably around 75F).

Any thoughts on why the high idle temps?

I reseated the heatsink (Termalright Ultra 120 Extreme). I spread a very thin layer of grease on the processor, and seated the heatsink.

My temps are still about 47C at idle in room with a comfortable ambient temp (don't know exactly, but probably around 75F).

What thermal paste did you use?

What is your ambient room temperature?

what thermal paste did you use??

I think the ambient room temperature is around 75F. It's not too hot and not too cold with a Tshirt.

I used Arctic Silver 5. No lapping. Yes, I cleaned off grease with thermal paste remover before reseating.

BTW, thermal case management has slight negative effect. When I take the side panel off, it lowers the CPU temp by 2C. I cant mod the case, in case you're gonna suggest it. =)

Andyf,

My load temps are similar but slightly higher than yours (about 65C/55C/54C/62C after 10 minutes of Prime95), but your idle temps are 10C-15C lower than mine (46C/40C/36C/43C). The temps do fluctuate some. I have seen 2 of the cores spike up to 70C, but it's not all the time.

My question is whether my load temps on the two higher cores is 100% safe, and whether spiking above 70C occasionally will affect the CPU?

For those following the thread, I already reseated the CPU with arctic silver 5. Thanks.

Please comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom