Overclocking geforce 8 series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
So yeah soon I may think of overclocking my system ( SupCom really is the only game that pushes it to its limits ). Im not too familar about overclocking the q6600 correctly but also am wondering about how to overclock the video card.

I heard from Riznarf that a good way is to use ATI tool and set it to detect the max overclocking and then set it a little below that. Does anyone use or recommend this method? Sounds kinda unsafe...

I'd recommend overclocking your GPU, by either ATI Tool or Rivatuner. I'm guessing ATI Tool, is more commonly used. It's safe, don't worry about it.

What Riznarf mentioned, is first finding the max core. After it reaches it's max, the system or program will freeze, and probably restart. You just have to remember, what it was at, before it started freezing. Then just back it down 10-15MHz, to be safe. And then run the Artifact Scanner for any artifacts.

Then do the same for finding the max memory.

I'd recommend overclocking your GPU, by either ATI Tool or Rivatuner. I'm guessing ATI Tool, is more commonly used. It's safe, don't worry about it.

What Riznarf mentioned, is first finding the max core. After it reaches it's max, the system or program will freeze, and probably restart. You just have to remember, what it was at, before it started freezing. Then just back it down 10-15MHz, to be safe. And then run the Artifact Scanner for any artifacts.

Then do the same for finding the max memory.

hmmm but what causes the artifacts to happen exactly? is it cause the card is running too hot? I thought artifacts mean permeanent damage for video cards

hmmm but what causes the artifacts to happen exactly? is it cause the card is running too hot? I thought artifacts mean permeanent damage for video cards

it means that the card is clocked too hard and too keep up with the amount of mhz per seconds you are asking it to perform at, it misses filling in some of the pixels.

Artificating isn't really dangerous at all.

I dunno Im sitll very reluctant to overclock....I gotta learn all the Ram:CPU ratios..I think the default right now is 2:3 that my mobo sets it at....I dunno...maybe ill overclock when its more necessary...no point in pushing it from 2.4 ghz to 3 ghz if theres no real need for the performance increase right?

If you're satisfied with the performance at 2.4GHz, there isn't a need to push it further.

So yeah soon I may think of overclocking my system ( SupCom really is the only game that pushes it to its limits ). Im not too familar about overclocking the q6600 correctly but also am wondering about how to overclock the video card.

I heard from Riznarf that a good way is to use ATI tool and set it to detect the max overclocking and then set it a little below that. Does anyone use or recommend this method? Sounds kinda unsafe...

I too once was started to get tempted to overclock my video card but what the heck I said, is the second high end after the Ultra and runs the games pretty dam good. Anyway I will overclock my video card eventually but there is no hurry really and besides here where I live the air conditioner is not 24/7 like most people in the US so my PC have to fight with ambient temps and thus is not very situable to overclocking it to the extreme ( not that I'm a Pro at overclocking, but you guys know what I mean).

Here is a guide that I found sometime ago maybe it can help you out: How To Overclock the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom