8600 or 8800?

Status
Not open for further replies.

commandercup

cuPWNED
Is the drastic (100+) price difference between 8600 and 8800 cards worth it?

In particular, I was looking at the 8600 GTS 512 MB (possibly superclocked) and the 8800 GTS 320 MB

There is quite a price difference, but is it worth it? I'll probably be buying through EVGA (Step-Up from my 8600 GT) so thats 114.90 off of the price of the card anyways

Yes, I play a lot of games and expect to indulge in DX10 so Series 7 and below are not viable options.

Worth it, forget about he 8600, youll be happy you forked over the extra cash for the 8800GTS 320. I wouldnt shoot for the 512-640mb either because there isnt much of a performance boost compared to the 320. Glad you chose eVGA. :)

heck yes this difference is noticable, the 8800gts is one of the best bang for the buck out there right now, and fyi dont ever buy a superclocked version as you can just overclock it yourself easily

yeah there's a MASSIVE difference...also if you plan on keeping the card around for awhile I recommend the 640mb version as it will deal with texture heavy games more easily....unless you're running at 1024x768 or something :)

no it wont, the 640mb has proven not to help on resolutions 1650 x 1024 and lower, it gives an average of 1-5 fps compared to the 320mb

ok thanks a lot

I guess I'll just end up saving and buying the 8800 GTS

a final question, does any other online company offer a "Step Up" program like EVGA? EVGA's site has pretty high prices 10-50 more then normal, so I lose money (even if its less then selling the cards away) everytime I step up

Yea...that was the downside to EVGA's step up program. I heard you're paying for the MSRP difference, between the cards. Not how much you payed at a retail price.

As far as I know, EVGA is the only company offering this program.

8600gts is crap... go 8800gts 320mb :) its the best bang for the buck card available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom