Dell PC modification

Status
Not open for further replies.

KraghacK

Solid State Member
Hi everyone,
This is my first post! Anyway, my girlfriend recently purchased a Dell Dimension 2400 with a P4 2.8 GHz processor. She had planned to get the PC and install either a Radeon 9800 XT or the X800 Pro. Unfortunately, the mobo does not have an AGP port, and it only has a very limited number (3) of PCI slots.

I suggested that since she really needs a good graphics card, she could replace the mobo (it has the Intel 845GV chipset) with another mobo that had an AGP slot.

My problem is that I have heard rumors of how Dell power supplies can damage mobo's not provided by dell. I was wondering if any of you had ever heard of this. If so, will she need a new power supply too? And what mobo should she purchase?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thank you.

No, it would just not be enough for some mobos, especially P4 mobos. The Dell versions of P4 Mobos are modified to use little power, while the actual ones uses a shit-load, not to mention it's also power-hungry enough to require a 4pin connector to the mobo for extra stability.

That info helps. When I am looking for a new mobo, what compatiblity issues should I be aware of? I am aware of RAM related issues, but as far as CPU compatiblity goes, my knowledge is limited.

Thanks WQ87.

Okay sounds like this dell is equiped with a micro atx form motherboard. I can reccomend one to you that will probably work. You are also going to need a new powersupply. And if you want to run the 9800xt you need atleast 350 and for the x800 atleast 500watts. And im not sure if its mirco atx or not. SO measure your mobo and tell me if its 9.6x9.6 or is it bigger?

THis is why you should not buy a dell.

Hinrichisgod said:
Every time someone buys a dell, God kills a puppy.

OMFG ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

man, that is hilarious. it like the line some1 has in their sig about god killing kittens when some1 asks a certain question lol.

OK back to the topic :)

Ok, dude, just get a new case, it will save you ALOT of trouble. go here, this is a really nice case to some1 who doesn't need anything jazzed up. it is very functional. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-150-017&depa=1 and you can't beat the price $26. it has no PSU so you will need one.
for the mobo this one looks good( you made no mention of how much you are willing to spend) this one is $80 http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-156&depa=0 that is AGP 8x
i don't remember if the X800/9800XT requires the pro slot, if it does, here are mobos with that. the cost more however. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=0
now, on to the PSU.
again, if money is no concern, then this would be a very good PSU http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-153-015&depa=1 I have a TT 420 watt PSU for about 3 months now, and it runs very well( it was heavy too, which is a good thing) TT makes quality PSUs, just like their other products. I heard that active PFC is good for a PSU, but i can't remember now.

I agree with soloman02 about getting a new case. That dell case probably can't support a new mobo, I know HP cases can't.

Mr. Zeedler, since it is my gf's computer and it is not with me, I cannot readily check the size of the mobo, but I will find out asap. Soloman02 and apokalipse, thank you for the mobo and case recommendations, I will be looking into them. I like the prices!

I was also wondering whether there are any dangers of having a 500W PSU. Since my gf might be getting an X800 Pro (or at least I want her to get it ;) ) she might need that kind of power. Will it affect the mobo, and if so, is there a certain type of mobo that I need to get? Could I use that much power on a 'micro atx form mobo' in case I choose not to get a new case (I do have the feeling the case wouldn't fit an ordinary-sized mobo)?

All your feedback is appreciated! This is my first set of posts and I already feel at home! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom