"Upgraded" from Vista to XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
Well...I decided I have had enough of my vacation with Vista and decided to go home to good ole' Windows XP. While there are features in Vista that I will miss, such as the Media Center and mostly the Instant Search, being back on XP is already saving me tons of headaches and things just work. XP is much more responsive as well. Not to mention gaming performance is vastly superiour on XP.

While Vista is nice at first when you are "wowed" by the eye candy, after it wears off, you really dont have much of an upgrade at all. Just a fancy new skin with annoying confirmations that is a major system resource hog. It also seems to be explicitly designed for people who have never used a computer before, which really hurts power users like myself. Not to mention all the software and hardware that doesn't work with it. Vista didn't work, so I decided to upgrade to an OS that does. That OS is Windows XP.

Vista Pros
*Eye Candy
*Instant Search
*Media Center

Vista Cons
*UAC makes doing any system maintenance a headache
*Very little control over your system
*System designed for people who have never used a computer
*Major resource hog (approx 800MB RAM vs. 200 on XP)
*Most companies have yet to release drivers or updated software compatable with Vista
*Gaming is a nightmare

I will probably take another look at Vista after SP1 is released if it in fact does deliver. Hopefully MS will fix the problems so that this becomes a decent, worthwhile OS release. Until then though, its XP for me.

I don't see any reason to upgrade from XPPro to Vista. Once I heard they dropped EAX support for hardware sound I don't see myself upgrading to Vista at all. The eye candy is not enough to make me spend too more than I should on vista. With the way M$ is screwing up I hope XP will be the last M$ product I own. Linux is developing very fast. Infact I have been playing around with the latest Ubuntu, and they actually take the visual features that M$ released in Vista and take it further, and do a much better job with it. Linux has also gotten a lot easier for the average user to install and start using it for their needs.

With Linux supporting more games lately, and all the audio and visual software I use, it will make the transition much more likely. For now I will dual boot XP and Linux, until I make the full switch to Linux. If M$ gets their act together and get the next version of Windows to be something great, then I might consider buying it, but Vista has gone down hill from the ease of XP.

Viruses
Infections
Spy ware
Trojans
Ad aware

The sound quality difference on my X-Fi between XP and Vista is amazing. Vista sounds like some crap integrated sound and after using it for almost 2 months, I am blown away by the sound quality this card produces in XP.

ya, from my experiences, it was just annoying... and using it on a 1gb laptop, was nothing too friendly, gets a bit difficult to multitask on a bloatware hp or dell... i was just fiddling with my friends dell that had a 2.0ghz core 2 duo... and start up brought it to its knees!!!! the visual effects are nowhere near enough to get me to want vista... i wont be getting vista until games are running on direct x10... and even then, i'll probably still mostly boot up with windows xp....

*Very little control over your system
*System designed for people who have never used a computer

This is why I will never "upgrade" an OS that I'm comfortable with nor ask others to do so unless it's simply mandatory (EOL for an OS or compatibility issues)

But, EOL on XP Pro will be years from now and compatibility issues with XP Pro versus Vista? Give me a break. Not for a long time. If it isn't broke don't fix it.

I'll defenitly be switching back to xp real soon,I have about 10 BSOD's a day with this piece of ****,My ethernet card won't work have the time and just about all my driver's are window's basic one's so everything work's like crap :(

I find this funny. I have had no issue with gaming or any ot the other problems. UAC is on but doesnt bug me much at all. It acts just like it did in XP for me.

I play all my games including the Steam games i have. I have full control over my system and Vista does use a bit more resources but i dont see the 600MB jump that eeryone else does. I have only noticed a 300-400MB jump. That is with all the same applications running.

EH.... Vista is ok, just disable teh UAC, and the movements are easy to get used to, and i feel gaming is pretty good, but that may have to do with his 8800 gts'

EH.... Vista is ok, just disable teh UAC, and the movements are easy to get used to, and i feel gaming is pretty good, but that may have to do with his 8800 gts'

LOL if you disable UAC, you get an annoying popup telling you to re-enable it because your system isn't "fully secure". What is real annoying is the constant grinding of the hard drive due to Vista indexing it for the Instant Search feature. If only they could have implemented WinFS...

On a side note, has anybody noticed what MS did to the defragger in Vista?

vista-defrag%5B2%5D.png

Yep, this is all you get. No progress bar, no colored bar to indicate how the process is going, and even worse, if a fragment is over 64MB, it skips over it so it does a much less thorough job than XP's defrag did. It takes much, much longer to do as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom