some computer decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tOny mOnt4n4

In Runtime
Hey, im looking to buy a new computer but i need a few tips.
i currently own a emachines (amd 2000,256ram, etc..) i want a new computer for my room and my friend says i should buy off the internet and he priced it out for me saying about 450 for the tower itself ( amd2400, special motherboard something or other, 512 ram) the only thing is there is no warranty and you take your chances. my real question is whether to buy a computer package from a store (i.e circuit city such as an eMachines (which i like) or something else i jsut need some more opinions cuz i know u guys are geniuses :D (btw i have a ati radeon 9600 xt in my current computer that i will put in my new one cuz im moslty gonna be playing computer games)

The only time I bought a computer off the internet, it only worked for a couple months, then I had to replace the chip and the fan.

So..I would go with buying it out of a local store.

Make your own!!! Its the best thing I ever did! I usually get all my stuff off ebay and its all new and I get great deals. I got a Sony DVD+-R/RW for 85$ my current motherboard for 50$, all new. So you can save yourself a lot of money if you "Do It Ebay". Also check out www.tigerdirect.com for great deals! Hope This helped.

Ohh please just build your own, you'll have a computer that's 3x's what any store could build for roughly the same price. It's always worth it, and with any kind of hardware nothing is promissed to work, that's what warrenties are for. You can send your hardware back if it quites on ya and they'll replace it and send it back to you, it may take a week or two, but it's worth building your own.

I'm not trying to stop you from building your own, but you should probably do a lot of reading and research before you buy anything. You'll want to know what makes up a computer and what each part's job it - trust me it will come in handy when you run into a wall during the assembly of the system. It really isn't THAT hard to build a computer, but then again I've been building them for quite a while so it's easy for me but may be harder for someone else with little experience.

If you do decide to tackle the job of building one, which is highly reccamended, expecially if you have a friend who can help you along the way.

BUT if you decide to buy one, I would advise not to get something from your local chain electronics store (ie: Best Buy, Circuit City)
--- One option is to check out websites that will build a computer from scratch FOR YOU, such as www.ibuypower.com or www.cyberpowerinc.com. They build quality systems from the well known parts, just as you would if you were to build your own, bu they build it and configure it for you, and give you just as good of a warranty and support as Dell, Gateway, HP, or the like. This is what my brother did, and his computer has been going for approxamatly a year and a half without a reformat or any harware dying out. They will even do extensive testing (see: Processor burn-in, etc.) on the system before they send it out, just to make sure everything is in working order. They will even organize the cables inside and make your case look reaaaaaly cool!

There are probably other sites, but i have had the best experience with these two. (Note, these sites seem to be pretty much the same company... maybe - they carry approxamatly the same products at the same prices, with similar deals and very similar web site designs.)

Good Luck!

EDIT: PS: they have completely customizable systems, so you can get it without a video card or other equipment you already have and want to use and save a bunch of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom