New RAM again and still keeps crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

xiaohai

Solid State Member
Hi,
Two weeks ago I submitted this post and was suggested that I use non-ECC RAM from Crucial. Now I got the non-ECC 512MB DDR RAM and seems like the problem still exists. System starts slow with the new RAM in, and Windows XP still keeps crashing. Please help me :( Thanks.

maybe it is a corrupted installation of windows xp.
format your drive, and reinstall if you dont have any vital data on that hard disk.

I just ran several tests. It seems like everthing works fine with either one of the RAMs but not both. Both RAM works fine on both DIMM1 and DIMM2 seperately, which I assume there's nothing wrong with the slots. I don't know what situation this would be. But there shouldn't be incompatibility issue going on here as I followed Crucials instructions. I have a hunch that it's the PSU. I remember I dropped my case (fortunately without the harddrive in) when moving to another apartment. Or is it the Motherboard? Please give me more hints. Thanks.

Just a tip - make sure you also check your your other hardware as it could be something else. ex: Graphics card.

I'm not sure what the differences are. They are both from Crucial. The 256MB PC2100 DDR was purchased more than 2 years ago and has 8 black chips on both side of the PCB. The new one is a 512MB PC2100 DDR, which has 8 black chips on only one side of the PCB. My video card is integrated on the motherboard. I'm not sure how to check problems related to other hardwares.

could that be the issue guys
256MB PC2100 DDR &
512MB PC2100 DDR

maybe there is a subtle difference in timing?

leave the 256 out and try that .I would use 2 sticks of 512 instead of mixing them up if it were me.Are you able to adjust your memory timings ?

You mean just use the 512 stick? I'm actually doing that right now as the system runs fine with only one stick, no matter the 256 one or 512 one. What do you mean by adjusting the timings? I know both of them are CL2.5

R the two ram same brand? Sometime different brand of ram will get conflict!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom