Windows 98SE critical install problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

JA01

Baseband Member
Okay, I need someone to PLEASE help me out. I'm going out of my mind here....I am trying to install Windows 98SE to my 2nd hard drive, from which has 2 partitions. The main partition is a FAT32 and so is the 2nd. So that takes care of that.

My computer wasn't equipped with a floppy drive, so I had to find a bootdisk but for CDROM and not floppy. A friend of mine gave me a DOS start up disk for CDROM which helped alot.

When the time came to install Windows 98SE, I did everything I was supposed to do. But every time I try I get the SAME message no matter what:

"Windows Setup requires largest executable program size to be at least 442368 bytes to run"

First, can someone tell me what this means, and how to make it go away.

I've tried to install Win98SE by 2 ways:

1. I tried by copying all the setup files to a HD partition and installing from my HD

2. installing from CDROM

and both I get the same message. I found what Microsoft had to say about this error message, I followed all the instructions to make it go away, but still it continues.

Can anyone please help? It seems as if I've tried everything under the sun.

ANY help is 100% appreciated. Thanks!

Fat32 only recognizes drives up to 130GB. Maybe it is less. So if you partitions are larger than that your install wont work. Also Fat32 doesnt recognize any files larger than 4GB. Those are the limitations of the FAT file system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom