Unbuntu Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulti_DOOM

In Runtime
hi all, i just scored a copy of Unbuntu Linux 5.10. before i install it can anyone tell me if its worth my while? if so how good is it? compaired to...windows or OSX?

Its a completely different thing from Windows and OSX.

I personally think its really nice. I am not good with Linux so I am not really able to take advantage of it. I run my apache server on it. ANd it never crashed.

It is a very nice distribution. I have Ubuntu Dapper (6.06, not yet realeased) on my rig along with Xgl+Compiz. It is awesome. Xgl and Compiz gives you effects like rotating a cube to switch desktops, fading, Vista style window switcher, OS X style skrink-windows-to-screen-for-easy-selection (whatever that is called), windows stretch and wobbe when moved, and more. Search Google Videos for a demo :)

Ulti_DOOM,

Don't even bother considering Ubuntu 5.10. if you are going to install Ubuntu at all 4.04 or 4.10 are your best options. The first thing that ubuntu is lacking is a root account, this is anoying because if you want administrative privliges you have to go through command line every time, once is fine, having to do it multiple times is just anoying.

The second horrible thing about Ubuntu is a lack of a decent package manager, you need a packed lunch just to be abe to sit through the unbarible installation process of packages

the Third thing is the Printer support is still dodgy at best

the 4th thing is it still uses totem to handle Multimedia requirements, Totem fails to handle Mpgs most of the time

the 5th reason: Every time you open directory it opens in a seperate window, if you have to do in depth work in the filing system, which makes it slow going. this is not a good thing.

the 6th reason: It uses Gnome. Gnome changes so rapidly it is hard to keep up. I know that technology is changing all the time but everyone has such different ideas of what Gnome SHOULD be, and it is a little too rapid for my taste

Jake

if you want administrative privliges you have to go through command line every time, once is fine, having to do it multiple times is just anoying.
What? Just go to the login screen setup and enable the option to allow root to login to GDM.

the 4th thing is it still uses totem to handle Multimedia requirements, Totem fails to handle Mpgs most of the time
Totem plays all of 'em just fine for me, just don't update it (the new Totem was screwed up, for me at least)

Every time you open directory it opens in a seperate window, if you have to do in depth work in the filing system, which makes it slow going
All you have to do is check a box in a menu telling it not to.

But yes, your other reasons are completely valid. I've gotten so used to Ubuntu none of it really bothers me. As with any distro, it just takes some time to adjust.

jakec said:
Ulti_DOOM,

Don't even bother considering Ubuntu 5.10. if you are going to install Ubuntu at all 4.04 or 4.10 are your best options. The first thing that ubuntu is lacking is a root account, this is anoying because if you want administrative privliges you have to go through command line every time, once is fine, having to do it multiple times is just anoying.

The second horrible thing about Ubuntu is a lack of a decent package manager, you need a packed lunch just to be abe to sit through the unbarible installation process of packages

the 5th reason: Every time you open directory it opens in a seperate window, if you have to do in depth work in the filing system, which makes it slow going. this is not a good thing.

the 6th reason: It uses Gnome. Gnome changes so rapidly it is hard to keep up. I know that technology is changing all the time but everyone has such different ideas of what Gnome SHOULD be, and it is a little too rapid for my taste

i think you need to keep up with the current releases of ubuntu.. As i know of a solution to every problem you described with the possible exception of printer..

1. Enable root: http://ubuntuguide.org/ , search root on page

2. package manager? isn't synaptic enough? Not sure which more advanced package manager you were referring to, you would have to enable alot of repo to gain access to more softwares though.. search Repositories on the above mentioned ubuntuguide.org

3. can you please elaborate on the printer problem, i'm rather certain that with some effort, and some help from ubuntu community over at http://ubuntuforums.org/ , your problem will be resolved pretty soon, after all, most linux differ superficially at best..

4. you may be in need of http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=138405&highlight=automatrix , which sadly does not work with 4.x series..

5. May be that's a 4.x series problem, since by default, 5.10 doesn't have this problem..

6. well, i haven't noticed this problem yet.. since to me, ubuntu releases once every 6 months, i'm happy with that time period, not sure exactly of what you were referring to..

I'm a noob with linux so I started Ubuntu because everyone said it was easy to use. It kindve is pretty easy and looks very pretty * similar to osx *. Still don't have the installing programs thing down yet, I'll have to read further into the introduction.

jakec said:
Ulti_DOOM,

Use gksudo or simply enable the root account by typing "sudo root" and enter the password.

Apt has to be the best package manager in existance. Synaptic along with the Install Software program gives you power and ease. Less dependency problems than any other package manager.

Same as any other distro. Just install the cups driver packages or gimp-print.

Install proper codecs, use xine or vlc, or install Dapper with gstreamer .10 (?) should solve those problems.

Mabey prior to breezy (5.10) it did that, but in Breezy and on open in the same window by default.

Not at all true. Gnome's layout is consistant and easy to use. It rarely changes. The changes lately have been improving speed and such. KDE in the otherhand is confusing, clunky, and slow. If you want another window manager or desktop environment, just install it through synaptic.

Jake

Like I said before. I recommend using the not-yet-released Dapper, as it is faster, fixes bugs, and is pretty stable right now. The multimedia is also much better in Dapper. Get it here http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/dapper/flight-6/

Sevoma said:
It is a very nice distribution. I have Ubuntu Dapper (6.06, not yet realeased) on my rig along with Xgl+Compiz. It is awesome. Xgl and Compiz gives you effects like rotating a cube to switch desktops, fading, Vista style window switcher, OS X style skrink-windows-to-screen-for-easy-selection (whatever that is called), windows stretch and wobbe when moved, and more. Search Google Videos for a demo :)

omg i saw a video of that on google running on suse or something, it was pretty cool, but still, its pointless. dont get me wrong though, its f*cking awesome!

xgl: http://www.novell.com/linux/xglrelease/
compiz: http://en.opensuse.org/Compiz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom