Slows down and freezes up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandingo

In Runtime
Ok, I built this computer on Thanksgiving. Was a great rig and was running excellent untill about 2 weeks ago when it started slowing down and freezing up after I got onto windows and tried to do a couple things. For instance...If I double click an icon on my desktop the hourglass will come on for 2 minutes and go away and nothing will happen. Or if I try to play Call of Duty it will only get so far then the whole computer will lock up and I will have to reboot it just to go back to the same thing all over again. It seems to run at about 20% of its capability and doesnt like to open anything up.
I have tryed to test my RAM with a memory test I have on a floppy that runs in DOS but this computer will not read my floppy from boot up. All my other computers do. I went into bios and changed the boot sequence from..... First boot - Removable drive(doesnt give me a option for floppy). Second boot - CD and Third boot - Hard drive. Still wouldnt read the disk in DOS. I tried a few other sequences but NOTHING!
So....I just bought new Ram. I didnt want to RMA the ram I have because Im unable to check if its bad or not. Besides I figured I couldnt go wrong buying another 2 sticks of 512mb to add to the computer.
Well I got the new ram and I replaced the old ram with it..But nothing. Still does the same thing. I have them both in the orange slots, the ones there supposed to be in. I have also ran all my Norton scans, Spybot scans, ran disk clean up and checked to see if I needed to run disk defragmenter...but didn't need to.
Well here are the system specs of the computer...
Case - Aspire X-Cruise
PSU- OCZ Modstream 520w
Mobo - DFI Lanparty Ultra - D
CPU - 3200+ venice
Video - Evga 6600gt PCIX
RAM - Corsair VS 2x512mb (1gb)
H.D. - Seagate barracuda 7200.7 80gb ATA150
Sony - CD/RW
Sony - Floppy
I would greatly appreciate any help on this issue. Its such a great computer, Its a shame that its running like this : (

well... since you did all that.... could it be overheating?..., have you tried to overclock it?

you mentioned ram... was the inside dirty?

No, Its not over heating. I have (4) 80mm fans and a 120mm fan not including the fans on the PSU. Case has amazing air flow and the computer is not enclosed in anything. I didnt notice any dirt at all in the case or in the ram slots. I am a clean freak and would have noticed right away.

I didnt try to OC it either. I have some weird programs running in my startup. Maybe that could cause a problem?

might be software related...:confused:

try doing a windows repair...

run ad-aware, avg antivirus, etc...

or click start... run, then type msconfig... and click on the startup tab...

remove odd things, and things you would rather start manualy

Computer performance properties...

Mandingo....
Check your 'computer properties performance'...
Go to 'My Computer', Properties, Performance.
What is your Free Space % ?????

Also you have to 'clean-up' your Temp. Files' from time to time. Go to ......TOOLS..... Internet Options...... and delete those temp. files........ if they fill-up, they will slow your computer down......

Just a thought....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom