Should I tell me boss that I am looking for another job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
I have been in the same place doing the same thing for about the last 5 years now. Now we did start off strictly wholesale. However when we had some of the distributors go directly to our resellers, we had to change the nature of our business.
We have been keeping our head above the water. However we are jumping from one IT scheme to another. Like for the last 18 months we have been concentrating on Point Of Sales System. But again, the market is begging to get flooded there. We are now looking at the Windows Media Centre Edition. Currently right now we can make a bit of money on 1 media centre set up. However I recon in about 6 to 12 month time, every other Tom D!ck and Harry, that has a computer store and that can live on >$100 per computer system, will be flooding that market too.
And over all with margins getting tighter and tighter, I am thinking "There is easier ways to get money"

For the last 4 years, I have been bugging my boss about renting out the warehouse and setting up a store front in order to get more business in. He's been telling me no. And then listing a bunch of reasons why.
And for the last 4 years, when ever my boss gets shits with me (or the business) he threatens about closing down the office and working from home instead.

Also my boss is not a bad guy. Like a few years back, he legally protected me from customer from hell when he could of just turned around and let me fry. (Do not ask for details)
There is extra contributions that he has been making to my superanation fund.
And finally there is the fact that he puts up with my shit. I get away with a lot of stuff here where other places I would of been fired a long time ago.

Now all of this has come up to a rather big boiling point 2 week ago where i have said to myself "I have had enough of this shit! I am looking for another job."
An so I have updated the old resume and start to look for jobs in the papers. Currently this week I am seeing of the local managers down at local EB Games. Plus there is an test / interview thing that I am going for with a trainee manager's position down at one of the local Coles-Myers.
Currently I am dead set on getting another job.

NOW....... this week I find out that he's looking at renting out the warehouse and finding a store front. After about 4 frigging years of me bugging him to do this, he's finally do it.
And he's all ready go me involved in the over all plan of things.

And this will mean that he will have to since leases for the new property and all that, when he could easily work from home with out me.
Now if I leave all of a sudden, that could put in up the creek with out a paddle.

Now the question i have is this.... Do I tell my boss that I am looking on finding another job?

Yeah man you should. He sounds like a nice guy and has been good to you. Shouldn't just dump him. Since he' s going ahead with the warehouse thing, do you STILL want to leave?

Chankama said:
Since he' s going ahead with the warehouse thing, do you STILL want to leave?
That where I have the other problem where his desision to take this store front option is making me think "Is this a little too little too late."

Like I have been in a IT Game (professionally) for the last 8 years working on one small company or another. Like my role his offically "System Consultant". However as soon as I add up all the other thing that I am doing, my position really is "Operations Manager" as I am involved with that many things.
Like most of my mates complain about how they are "the small fish in the big pond". I am the oposite where I am "the big fish in the little pond'.
I would like a job where it's less responibility and less stress.
I would also like a job where I can move up into various other positions.

Currently I am trying to work out how I am going to approach him about this. Especially considering that I don't have that second job lined up yet.
Worse case is this, if he asks me to leave then it means that i currently have about 3 months worth of holiday leave that I can cash in on.

I have been speaking to few people on this, and they are saying that I should tell him some one thing.

However my parents have told me that I am that transparent that he most likely knows all ready.

One the good side, I got one of the other scout leader's in my group telling me that his place might be putting on more people on their help desk in the new year. So I will pass him a copy of my resume next week.

Over all, I should say thing to my current boss that I am unlikely to be contining to be working under him in the new year. The question is is how do I got about telling him this.

Here I am about to start talking to him about this.
How ever before being able to get a word in on my feeling, he tells me what is going on. And he's also going to be increasing my wage.

Once again, I am rethinking things, and I might stick around for a little while and see what things are like June 2006.

Stick around and continue looking for another job on the side. Your boss doesn't really need to know anything until you're def ready to leave.

Yea, unless you completely, and positively sure that your're going to leave this company dont tell your boss, you should give a 2 Weeks notice so he can have time to hire a new worker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom