Accidentally changed ip, can't access internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shomac5k

Baseband Member
I was enabling some ports in my router configuration, and I accidentally must have changed my ip address.

My internet won't work anymore... and I can't access my router configuration to change the ip back to normal.

Now both computers on my network dont have access to the internet. Is there any way I can set my ip back to the defaults?

help!!! :confused:

btw, i don't even remember what my original ip address was.

what brand and model router?

it is a linksys... cant remember the model number

What is the error you get when you try to access your router ?

When i try to access it via internet explorer (and firefox), the router configuration doesnt even load... just sais 'page could not be found'...

Do ipconfig /all on the command prompt, the ip address of your gateway will be the ip to access your router. If DHCP is enable you should automaticly detect any new configuration made on the router.

It's possible that he accidentally turned off DHCP, in which case ipconfig/all will just give an error.

If that is what happened, and I can't remember what the error is that you will get when you do the ipconfig/all, you could try to assign a static ip. I believe that the default for Linksys is 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. You could probably assign your computer an address of 192.168.x.12 (x being 0 or 1), with 192.168.x.1 as the gateway.

If that doesn't work, I would just reset the router. There should be a button on the back of the router that is labeled reset. That will put it back to factory defaults, which included DHCP enabled.

I can access ipconfig /all, but it is not like normal. it still shows my ip addresses and what not, but it also shows some other stuff which didn't appear prior to this problem.

Also, I tried resetting my router, repairing it, system restore, and turned the power off and on... still nothing!

I am going to try unplugging the power cord over night, and maybe the default settings will go back to norm... i don't know...

Just reset your Router, the default router setting will have DHCP enabled, then set each machine to receive their IP through DHCP also. You'll then be able to acces your router/internet and make any changes you want back to the way it was.

It can be such a pain, I was trying to set up my home network with static IP's and it wouldn't seem to work, and whenever it wouldn't work I would have to reset the stupid router, then go back into each machine and set it to DCHP, restart, blah blah blah blah.........:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom