Is there a way to do this easily??

Status
Not open for further replies.

annieb727

Baseband Member
Question: I currently have a computer and a laptop. We have cable internet and a router...so we have access through the router for both computers (though we have a 100 ft LAN cord strung to get upstairs for access).

My question is...is it possible to get a wireless card for the laptop and somehow get something for the router so we can use the wireless internet/networking? I would really rather keep the corded internet access to our main computer, but our laptop is not very portable as is.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
~Annie

Yes, you could either replace the wired router with a wireless one that would also have physical ethernet ports so that you could keep the wired PC as well. or, you could place a wireless access point off of the wired router and setup the wireless laptop to connect to the wirelesss access point.

which do you think would be easiest...

how would I go about doing the second one...that sounds like it might be cheaper?

netgear or linksys wireless g router with a notebook wireless card. i get signal throughout my house and the basement.

Yes, regardless, you are going to have to buy a wireless card. I would go with a Linksys or Netgear package deal. You can get an 802.11g (with 108MBps boost) router and card combo for about $110 at Costco.

wireless routers a getting cheaper everyday. Buying one will not strip you of wired capabilities. They have a built in 4-port switch just like any other regular router. Do not get an access point for ease of mind and good networkability. Cut costs by checking to see if you have built in wireless on your laptop to eliminate the need of buying a router with a wireless card. If you dont know or not sure, post your laptop brand and make and we will tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom