Computing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

In Runtime
Video RAM (VRAM) is separate memory on the graphics card, into which the processor writes data which is then read to the screen for display. A computer has a colour monitor and 1Mb of VRAM, and its screen display has been set to a resolution of 1024 x 1024.

How many bytes would be available to represent each pixel in the above computer system?

How many colours can this computer system display?

I'd be grateful if you could help, I am sure it's a simple answer but I just can't see it.

Thanks,

Retro.

1024x1024? Never seen a resolution setting like that.

Even so, with the question at hand, you gotta know the starting basis. Meaning you gotta know how many bytes it takes to represent a pixel in the first place, but I think the main thing is (which btw I have no definative answer I'm just guessing here) that technically no bytes go to a pixel as all the bytes are stored as info and the monitor reads what's been constructed via the computer and shoots it out with guns to display the final product.

So I don't know if you can attach a byte to a pixel really, but again I'm not really sure.

Then again, I guess with a color scheme like '32Bit' then there has to be some info for it to have been giving a name like 32bit colors...

so yeah basically I've just done nothing but gotten confused lol

Sorry I couldn't answer your question, seemed simple enough until I started thinking about it more :p

1024x1024x(color_depth_bits)=size of display image

Thats only part of it though, you also have to factor in the internal bandwidth of the card vs the monitors refresh rate and how fast the system its running on can feed data to the video card.For example technically based on screen size times color depth a 2mb card couldnt display 1024x768x8bit color, but it will.This because the human eye can only percieve frame rates below about 20fps, the monitors refresh rate is much higher than that, and the cards bandwidth is high enough to overcome the memory deficit.

For frame buffer devices that formula holds true though, they only display one frame at a time and only whats in video memory at the time.

no, the formula for screen image size is width x height x color depth, I just used 1024x1024 cause thats what the poster started with

For that card assuming frame buffer mode it would be just under 480x320x8bit color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom