TV/CPU Monitor Combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

grego

In Runtime
Hey all, I'm new to this forum, as you can see.

I'll be leaving for college in about a year, so it's time to start planning my dorm room, lol. Really though, I gotta know about how much $$ I'm gonna need to save up.

My main mission right now is to find a way that I can use my computer monitor to also double as my TV. I'll be getting a CRT for sure, my budget won't be humongous. I'm planning on probably 19-21". I'm just not sure what hardware I'd need to do this. I'm sure its an easy dilemna, but car audio is my field as far as hardware goes. I plan on converting that car audio hobby into computers though, because my car's system would probably get stolen in a flash in a college town. Not to mention my major will be CIS so it couldn't hurt :). I've been an avid computer user since I was like 7, but I've never gotten too deep into hardware.

I plan on buying a system from tigerdirect, as they seem to deliver the best bang for your buck. Unless of course, systemax systems inherently suck?

Anyway, if you could guide me as to what hardware I'd need to have my computer monitor double as a TV, I'd appreciate it. (Is it just a TV-out on a video card? If so, I'd feel silly, lol.) It would also be nice if I could plug in a PS2 or something though. Not sure exactly what a TV-out will do for me.

Welcome to the Tech-Forums!

You can use a CRT monitor to double as your TV without any problems. The majority of video cards have a video out (for tv). However, you are going to need a video in. I'd recommend looking into the Radeon All-In-Wonder. That is all you will need.

If you have any more questions, feel free to let me now. I'll be more than happy to help u right away.

Hmmm, I'm wondering now: What would be better, using a TV monitor to double, or using a computer monitor to double?

As far as size/cost goes, a TV monitor wins there. A new 27" can be had for about $200, the same as a refurbed 21 inch PC monitor. Sitting 2-3 feet from a 27inch display while doing normal PC things would undoubtedly be awkward though. But still, a new 20" TV could be bought for $125-175, which is cheaper or the same as a refurbed 21" PC monitor.

Would there be performance differences? Versatility issues?

DO NOT use a TV for your computers primary display! I repeat DO NOT do that. The TV's scanlines make it IMPOSSIBLE to read anything as everything is blurry. The only thing I use my TV for is watching movies from my HDD. Besides that it is absolutely useless. Unless of course you have a HDTV.

Use the monitor. There is no scanlines, and a MUCH higher refresh rate. You can watch TV as if it was in High Definition, and still use it for whatever you do on the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom