no heatsink fan on new ATI Radeon 9200

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaksback

Fully Optimized
Recently bought and installed a ATI Radeon 9200 128mb and it didn't have a heatsink fan on it which I thought odd esp since my old Nvidia 64mb had one.

Should I get one and attach it to it? The reason I ask is that recently while playing my newly bought game (colin mcrae rally 04) a couple times I got the blue screen of death dumping physical memory.

Is the vid card running 2 hot maybe? I know my cpu temp is up from normally 39c to 46c lately.

All's I know is I cringe and freak when that blue screen blows in my face.

that will take some time to get as i will have to play for a bit....but when i get it i'll post it

You dont always need a fan on a video card. I am in sort of the same situation. My suggestion is buy a pci card cooler. they have 2 fans on them and blue uv light. You can get them at www.newegg.com

i saw one at circuit city for $14 the other day. newegg would be great but I don't have the credit card to do it.

Ok, it finally happened again, blue screen and dumping of physical memory to disk error. Here are the numbers that read across the top of the screen:

0x000000d1 0x000000 0x0000002 0x000002 0x000000 0xB3C27343
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_=

Address B3C27343 base at B3BA6000 3F94Fbace HA010Kx2K.sys

That's about as close as I can get to it. Does this mean anything to you? Also, When I checked the cpu temp it was at 52 or 56c (can't recall) up from the 42-44c it used to be. I had just today installed a new cpu fan and copper heatsink which so far I am not too happy with ($35 down the drain)

so I rigged another smaller fan just underneath the blue cpu fan and heatsink:

cooling_system.jpg

it's now running at 44c which I don't like--much rather have it run at about 35-40c.

it does have a big heatsink tho , i added a fan from one of those hard drive cooler kits . Attached it to the heatsink with screws .

jak, what kind of thermal grease did you use? did you use the stuff that came with the HSF? if you did, then that may be why your cpu runs so hot. Get some AS4 ( or whichever is the latest one, i can't remember 4 or 5 lol) also, your cpu will run hot if it is getting hot air, make sure that your airflow in your case is good too.

Soloman02 said:
jak, what kind of thermal grease did you use? did you use the stuff that came with the HSF? if you did, then that may be why your cpu runs so hot. Get some AS4 ( or whichever is the latest one, i can't remember 4 or 5 lol) also, your cpu will run hot if it is getting hot air, make sure that your airflow in your case is good too.

I used the thermal paste that came with it but it said it had 25% silver and I've heard that's like the best stuff.(??)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom