Memory Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zipp080

Baseband Member
Where exactly do I run memory in 64 bit mode in XP? And is corsair select bad memory? I read on the asus site after I bought my memory that asus boards reccomend kingston or samsung. I looked on pricewatch.com and saw that samsun and kingston are about the same price as corsair select, but on newegg.com corsair is abit cheaper which is why I bought it in the first place. So is it really that much worse?

And I plan on buying 1 more stick of 512. Can I buy a different brand like samsung and run it in dual channel with my corsair select? Or does it have to be another stick of corsair?

na different places have different prices. Some places where i got my kingson 512 from, wanted 120 dollars.. others wanted 80. So its all different. You also gotta remember, if they get it from the factory direct or just from a disributator... um im running PNY and kingston single channel. But its fine. Although manufactors and people say that its not good to run 2 different brand memory together.. ive been running mine for 2 years or so and no problems. Im not too sure on this... but as long as the samsung or a other brand, is dual channel i think u can. But as i said before. Its not reccomended running 2 different brand memorys.

Ok, heres another question. On my asus k8v board for an amd64, I have 3 memory slots. I believe 2 are for dual channel, and 1 is just single I guess? Can I have 1 stick of 512 in the single slot, and 2 sticks of 128 in the 2 other slots to run dual channel? Would that be a waste though?

Or could I run 2 diff sizes in dual channel? Like 1 stick of 512 running with 1 stick of 256?

No u cannot run sticks of different sizes on dual channel mode ... But then ..u can definately run 2 128's in dual channel n' the 512 in single channel ...

As far as perormance goes ..u might not notice a big difference.
Since the performance from 512 to 768 wouldn't be very noticable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom