Workgroup vs Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
What are the major differences between setting up a network to be in a workgroup vs a domain? I just set up a pc using win2k pro and chose workgroup as the network type.

I'm networking 3 computers together (for now) and will be adding a couple more including a server, in the next few weeks.

Hmm. Thanks for the link. I read it but it's gonna take some more resources to fully sink in. I'm not necessarily looking for what is "easiest" to set up, but what is most effective. From that link i got the following:

A collection of computers on a network that share a common user database and security policy. A domain is administered as a unit with common rules and procedures by the domain administrator. Each domain has a unique name.

This sounds more like what i have in mind. Anymore links are welcome. I guess i'm gonna have to read more. Some example situations would clarify me much quicker, though.

Domains, in theory, are kind of confusing. Once you actually begin to set one up, MANY light bulbs go off from your prior reading.
I'll also take a look at some sites and post some good reading material.

-Mike

Also if you set up a domain you will need a server (must likely you be using Win2K), this will provide you with a domain controler which allow you to manage all logons and other network functions including security functions. A workgroup is a collection of pc group together with no centralized administration or login validation. The only validation that you can really do is share level
shares and printers.
Also if you are concern about security with a workgroup configuration you can get by if it is a small network how ever the security in the workgroup is not too strong, but if you have plans of making a bigger network in the future then you may want a server network which can provide you with better security settings.

Truetechie,

The question you have to ask yourself is what are you trying to
accomplish by setting up the server and computers. (Production
like environment for testing or just a SOHO network)

The advantages of a domain are things like offline files, software
deployment to all computers, and as previously mentioned
file and printer sharing, centralized security and administration.

If you have a laptop that is used to duplicate a desktop machine
with some software and files and you don't want to keep connecting, authenticating, copying and pasting files that you use
often then a domain can be benefical.

Well right now i have the network set up as a workgroup and it consists of only 3 computers. I'll be adding a windows webserver and a linux server into the mix soon, so i guess when i do that i'll be changing everything to a domain??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom