Soldering Iron

Status
Not open for further replies.

john3

Banned
hey guys, i just bought a nexxtech soldering iron. its dual wattage 15 and 30 watt. now i need this to fix the wires on my headphones, which voltage should i use for that?

oh and 1 more question, what else do i need other than the soldering iron?

Depends on the type of solder you use. Certain types will change state at different temperatures. For something as simple as headphone wires, I think 15 watts and a light-duty type of solder would be good enough.

Yup.

Edit: If this is going to be your first time soldering, you will make a mess. Be really careful too. First time I ever soldered, I burnt the soldering iron through my thumb. Now I've got a big dent/scar there.

ok, sweet thanx. so then what is the procedure exactly, wat do i do with the core solder?

The soldering iron basically gets really hot firstly (give it a few minutes to heat up). You place the soldering iron, the core, and whatever you want soldered together (probably the trickiest of all), the core liquifies from the heat, and covers whatever joint/connection you wanted soldered together, and the core acts as a conductor.

You should probably get some practice first, to get the idea of the behaviour of melting solder, how it clings to stuff, how it'll dry, etc.

john3 said:
yeah, im gonna practice it on some old wires first, any tips?

Make sure whatever you're going to be soldering is held down so you don't have to hold it with your hands. You need one hand for the iron, and the other to hold the core. Make sure the strand of core is long enough, so it doesn't melt up to your hand when the soldering iron touches it :p

Also, don't use force. Pushing on solder isn't going to make it melt quicker. It'll probably just make your hand slip and burn something you didn't want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom