And it begins, New Build: Project HAFshell

Status
Not open for further replies.

myowngod

In Runtime
Figured i'd make a thread to document the new build.. Going watercooled for the first time, so hopefully we'll see some awesome performance out of this i7... Heres what I've got so far:

Case: HAF932 (inside painted black)
Processor: i7 920
Board: EVGA X58
GPU: EVGA OC GTX285 (second one coming this summer for SLI)
PSU: Corsair 1000hx
Cooling: Petras Elite Kit w/ Med Yate Loons and the XSPC Reservoir Top (Apogee GTZ socket 1366)
HDD: WD640 Cav. black (SSD in plans.. not sure yet though)
Optical: does it really matter? a DVD/RW
RAM: 6gb of SOMETHING! (undecided... any recommendations?)
Extras: A slew of med speed yate loons, fan controller, etc..

I got red additive for the water... read somewhere that this can be bad for the sytem.. can anyone confirm that additives are detrimental to a loop?

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated... although I just ordered the mobo and the i7.. so thats pretty set it stone lol...

The EVGA OC GTX285 is only like 10 dollars more or something. I would say its worth it.

Also, that PSU is way overkill. I would go with this. It will still have plenty of headroom just in case.
Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling PPCT860 860W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Power Supplies

I wanted to maintain the potential to go Tri-Sli and my research indicated a 1000w was the minimum for that... even if it is overkill now..

Turtle power?

Suggestions!
- You don't need to get the OC version of the GTX285 if it's that much more money.
- Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Aspire will be able to answer about the additive.

Otherwise, everything looks pretty solid.

Added the Recommended RAM to my wishlist! good timings for the money... and I grew up watching ninja turtles so it was very appropriate...

The only reason you would need to go tri-sli is for a 30" monitor. So unless you are planning on buying a $1000+ monitor, don't bother with tri-sli

The only reason you would need to go tri-sli is for a 30" monitor. So unless you are planning on buying a $1000+ monitor, don't bother with tri-sli

:) that was the idea lol... if I decide to save money.. would the 850tx be enough for two 285's?

It would be more than enough. A 750w could handle 2

I wonder if it is worth it.. hmm.. the 1k is modular too, which helps with all the wires.. but it's 100 dollars more... anyone make a good modular 850? I might scale down... one thing I didn't like about my 750tx was the excessive number of wires I had to stuff somewhere..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom