Yellow Light Of Death ( YLOD ) discussion board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you have the YLOD pray to jesus or ghandi or whoever that it's a harddrive issue. The YLOD is like the RROD only even less specific (if it's possible...) Try and plug the HDD into your computer and reformatting it, and if that doesn't do anything then it's the solder points on the GPU/CPU and you have to know what you're doing to fix that.

From what I've read on the google searches is that it's overheated and shuts itself down. That or its a problem with the hard drive.

reason i made this thread on the YLOD is because i bought a PS3 off of craigslist (for 50$!) about a week and a half ago that had the YLOD. i had no clue how to fix it so i Googled it, like any sane person would do. i read that you can use a heat gun to solder the GPU and CPU to the MOBO, i also read a less talked about subject of putting the MOBO of the PS3 into the oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes and it possibly worked.

well seeing as how i have no money whatsoever and did not have a heat gun i went with the oven trick.
for 10 minutes at 425F i waited, then took the MOBO out of the oven and let it cool for about 15 minutes.

i reassembled my PS3 praying to jesus that it would work.

IT DID!

so now i have a perfectly functional PS3 that i bought for 50$ on CL. it has been running solid for about a week now.

all i have to say is thank Google :)

Yea, that is right at solders melting point, and just low enough that the board wont scorch quickly.... Only downside is, that is beyond the limit that capacitors are built to handle.... Glad it worked though.

Who woulda thunk it. That just doesn't sound right to me, you're a brave guy haha. Nice score on the $50 PS3 now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom