XP OEM to Vista OEM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reefbreak

Beta member
Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question...

I will be making my first attempt to upgrade my operating system. Currently I have XP home 32 bit OEM installed that came with my gaming system I bought. I would like to upgrade to vista home premium oem...

I've read that OEM versions of operating systems are tied to the motherboards but otherwise the full meal deal...this is fine with me because I won't be upgrading my motherboard probably for another 1 1/2 - 2 years....

My question is if I buy the 32 bit vista home premium oem version - will it install over the xp oem version that i have currently on my hard drive? Or do I need to buy the retail version of vista home premium which is way more expensive... and yes i want a clean install...

I've done a search and can't seem to find that direct answer...sorry if this is a newb question but Im new at this so any help is appreciated :)

No you will have to buy the Vista Home Premium Upgrade to do that. OEM doesn't have the upgrade option. The Retail ones do. But not the OEM ones.

It will be more expensive yes for the retail. But from what i read you want a clean install. OEM can do a full clean install. Just have to format the drive first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom