World's largest digital photo (2,5 GigaPixel / 7,5GB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, this is amazing but i want to know that how is it taken i mean by a camera or some sort of another thing..:)

Taking hundreds of photos in RAW format (necessary for later processing) in a single run requires gigabytes of storage space in the camera. The option to change memory cards during shooting was rejected as this would lead to disturbances of the motion platform while swapping the cards. Another option was to use a single high-capacity memory card (8 GBytes cards are now available) but this requires FAT32 support from the camera). In the end, it was decided to use a high-speed FireWire link between camera and computer and store the photos on a laptop computer. Camera and lens The camera used was a Nikon D1x. It provides 6 megapixel resolution and a FireWire interface with remote-control capabilities. This digital SLR camera needed a long telephoto lens to provide enough detail in the final image and to prevent us ending up with an extremely wide field of view. The lens used was a Nikon AF VR Nikkor 80-400 mm f/4.5-5.6D ED. As the digital SLR camera has a 1.5x magnification factor, this lens compares to a 600 mm lens on a 'normal' 35mm SLR camera. The lens comes with the option of vibration reduction technology but this technology was not used. During tests the vibration reduction did not improve image quality when the camera was mounted on a tripod.

Yeah, interesting...gives them bragging rights, I suppose. Mmm...I'm not sure I agree with the...
"The option to change memory cards during shooting was rejected as this would lead to disturbances of the motion platform while swapping the cards."

You could always rig something up--especially being a university, like some how attach an external hard drive to it, or something like that :) They should have lots of money / smart people to do it...engineers...hah!!

Cool though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom