Wireless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

[SC]Hawk

Baseband Member
look i am gonna set i wireless router system in a mates place and i was look at the secruity measures that can be taken in place. I have have done a few already and i can to the EAP and MAC easily and i can do certificates but i wanted to know if it is possible to make the connection more secure as my mate wants it to be secure.

All so the house being two story i wanted to know how much interferance a enhance steel wall would effect the signal. It is a 802.11G wireless so i thought that it will be fine but after talking abit i am not to sure.

Hope some one can help

cheers

It depends how enhanced this steel wall is... At best, 802.11g will reach across 100ft @ 54Mbps. The more you put between the signal and its destination, the slower the connection will be. For example, I use my laptop on an 802.11g network and if I go to the other side of my house in the basement (1 floor down) my connection goes from 54Mbps to about 20Mbps at 75% connection.

I think you will still have connectivity, though the signal won't be nearly as strong as it originally is when it leaves the router.

As for the security, unfortunately the best you could do right now is WPA, and only a select few home-routers support such security. More info can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_03july28.mspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom