Wireless router - having trouble deciding

Status
Not open for further replies.

golove

Beta member
I'm going to buy a wireless router - I will be connecting my Dell Inspiron 600 M laptop. It has a Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini-PCI card. I'll be connecting across the house. Which router do you think is best for me?

Linksys WRT54G
D-Link DI-624

Or wait for the new n standard?

Thanks!

I'd go with the Linksys WRT54G.

Great 802.11n products won't be out until probably March/April of 2007. All of these Pre-N products that are flying around are just insane. There's no reason to get all wound up in them. Here's one good reason: If you buy a Pre-N product now, then there is NO way of knowing if the same chipset will be involved in the company's final 802.11n product release. They actually say this up front. And yet....people are still buying into this crap. D-Link has these Pre-N products and they have written that they CANNOT guarantee any firware upgrade will be available for the product once the 802.11n final products are released. That's basically saying, "Here...buy this, but in a year, it's gonna suck...just a FYI"

I was REALLY happy with Linksys with continuing to improve the 802.11g technology and not buying into the whole Pre-N crap.....until last week *sigh*
Linksys just released the 300N series (draft N) network adapter and wireles router.

But, they're version of the Pre-N (before the Draft N) was the MIMO SRX technology. If you can afford the Linksys WRT54GX, WRT54GX2 or WRT54GX4 (coupled with a WPC54GX, WPC54GX4 or WMP54GX), then do it. I have all three of the SRX routers and they ALL work really well. I'm using them all with the WPC54GX adapter though....I haven't tested the other adapters)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom