WinRAR and 7-Zip Questions....

Status
Not open for further replies.

eipeks

In Runtime
So, I have a folder with photos 90.2 MB in size.
Compressing with

WinRAR = 89.9MB
7-Zip = 89.7MB

Now, I hate to sound noobish here, but 1 MB smaller than the original folder doesn't sound like compression to me. Why does it not shrink it smaller?

If I RAR a 1.99 MB Audio mp3 file, the compressed file size is 0.99 MB but if I 7-Zip the same audio file, it ends up being 1.45 MB in .7z format.

I've noticed some files, like a .psd file, will compress nearly 50% of it's original size with both programs however a standard .jpg file hardly compresses at all!

Why?

JPEG and JPG are already compressed files. ;)

It also depends on your compression rate. If you use the default that is only like 10% of what it already is.

You will have to add to Archive and select a different compression rate other than normal to get it to be less than a few MB in size.

It also depends on the file. Some files, like JPEG's in Mak's example, are already compressed and cannot be compressed much or at all anymore.

Indeed. In general, though, Winrar has always given me better results over all. I've used it for a long time, too, and find it easier to use than 7-zip or Winzip. But that may be because I know my way around it better.

alright!
Thanks for the input, it all makes much more sense now. And of course, I forgot jpg was already compressed!

Yes many people forget that part. But it is always good for a reminder once in a while. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom