Wine anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HjFUN

Baseband Member
Well I've started thinking about things and I am wondering about instead of using Windows, using a form of Linux with Wine but I have never setup a Linux box before. My uncle says the biggest problem is with getting the video drivers. If I can do it then I will save a ton of money on the os that I can spend on other things like upgrading the system. This is going to be a gaming machine for anything from 5yo games to moderate-high end games and I'm wondering if it will be able to run fast enough and if it will be able to play the games. Other then that I think it would be wonderful to do this and get a taste of Linux.

off topic but... I thought you meant like Pinot Noir or Merlot...
I've been wanting to try something different

Don't use Linux for gaming. Unfortunately most game developers don't release Linux ports of their games, and running games under Wine is a huge hassle. I'd recommend dual booting. Start up Windows when you want to play games and use Linux for everything else.

A UNIX system is great visually (Ubuntu and Solaris e.g) since the devs have access to the source they can come up with things like CompizFusion which aesthetically looks great.

My experience of the windows compatibility layer and games however isn't too great. Like Greg said dual booting is about your best option, or you could vun a virtual XP box for gaming.

Cheers,

~ Tkey

Dual booting is DEFINITELY the way to go. Wine is great for most apps, but games are really intense and complicated. Usually, games work but with severe graphics issues or slowdowns. Older games usually work fine, but new ones tend to have a lot of problems. Wine is good for game servers (dedicated server applications tend to run in Wine pretty well) but the actual games have issues. Dual booting is the best option, I actually have a triple boot setup (Vista Ultimate, XP Home, and Ubuntu 8.04) on my computer and it works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom